Best way to build up for sporting clays

ShotgunLenny

Best way to build up for sporting clays

Post by ShotgunLenny » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Hey all--new here but hoping for some guidance.

I've been shooting for years, but mostly hunting. Recently my friends and I discovered two excellent sporting clay courses and have burned up a number of weekends learning the ropes.

They all shoot autos, but I dared to be different with a fairly standard 870 Express (28", flush mod choke, wood furniture).

The gun is totally fine, however I wouldn't mind eeking out whatever edge I can. What can I add or swap on this thing to get more consistent scores?
What I read about extended chokes doesn't convince me of their efficacy. I also look at monte carlo stocks, but I worry that they would throw off the short length of pull the gun has--I'm only 5'8" and like that one does not need to be captain america to shoot this thing comfortably.

Advice from any long-time shuckers?

BurstBarrel
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Best way to build up for sporting clays

Post by BurstBarrel » Wed May 18, 2016 1:56 am

ShotgunLenny wrote:Hey all--new here but hoping for some guidance.

I've been shooting for years, but mostly hunting. Recently my friends and I discovered two excellent sporting clay courses and have burned up a number of weekends learning the ropes.

They all shoot autos, but I dared to be different with a fairly standard 870 Express (28", flush mod choke, wood furniture).

The gun is totally fine, however I wouldn't mind eeking out whatever edge I can. What can I add or swap on this thing to get more consistent scores?
What I read about extended chokes doesn't convince me of their efficacy. I also look at monte carlo stocks, but I worry that they would throw off the short length of pull the gun has--I'm only 5'8" and like that one does not need to be captain america to shoot this thing comfortably.

Advice from any long-time shuckers?
Some Carlson Extended Chokes will pattern better. How the gun fits is very important, try holding some other shotguns to see how they feel to you before buying anything. Sporting Clays is fun. :)
:lol:
NRA Life Member
DIY Gunsmith, Handloader and 870 Owner

codyphillips48
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by codyphillips48 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:56 pm

To be honest when I'm shooting sporting clays I use my plain jane 870 express. Its 100% stock. I'm 5'7 5'8. Its great to see there faces when your out shooting the autos and over unders. but hey this is coming from a 25 year old poor kid.
870 Owner x2 11/87 Owner x2 ;)
NRA Endowment Life Member
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Dmart8743

Post by Dmart8743 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:24 am

That's cool! I just picked up my 870 super magnum and shot it for the 1st time this weekend on a trap shoot. Was a blast and the shot gun ran 50 plus rounds flawlessly. I found a new hobby. Can't wait till next weekend

JScott

Post by JScott » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:04 am

I just went out for the second time Friday. I brought my sister out to shoot clays for her first time. We shot "wobble" and fired 100 shells between us. The gun ran flawlessly. Though we were both flawed ;).

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 am

I like Federal Top Guns. Look for the 1145 fps load, when I shoot them through my V3 they are like shooting a pillow lol.
Attachments
topgun.jpg
topgun.jpg (84.85 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
Last edited by efriedrich on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

Shot 100 clays today in a swirling wind and I it was tough (missed a lot) but I had a blast. Mostly shot Federal Top Guns which are ok but I did polish off a box of the Winchester Walmart stuff. I have to say again that Winchester Universal is absolute junk and I will never buy that shit again.