Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
TOPTACTICAL
New Shotgunner

Re: Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by TOPTACTICAL »

Hi jpfrog

For your question seems like you think that this 870 is very heavy :shock: (in appearance) but it is not, at least for me jajaja. The MT LEO Kit is made with lightweight materials like aluminum, rubber and polymer. The Vltor Buffer Tube, Truglo sight and MT Sureshell are also aluminum. The Heatshield and the Cheek Piece are made in polymer and weighs almost nothing. The MT Sling Loop and MT Magazine Clamp are both made in steel, but becouse their size does not add to much weight.

Honestly I've never taken his weight, but I have a friend with a Mossberg 590 and tells me that the weight is not very different from his shotgun. However, I do feel that his 590 is a bit lighter than my 870, but it is not much difference. The difference in weight does the Surefire forend, but this extra weight is compensated by the built-in flashlight.

If we use the same type and same amount of ammunition, this extra weight will be the same in my Remington shotgun as a standard.

When I have time, I will weigh it full loaded to see the result. Maybe I am surprised and weighs more than what I think, but I'm sure that Vitaly must have an estimate of the weight difference between this custom 870 and 870 standard.

Best Regards

Sorry my bad english :oops:
jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog »

It does look heavy, but depending on the type and design of the polymer I'm sure that those looks could be deceiving...if it doesn't weigh much more than stock, those modifications might be very interesting and I may consider them for a build down the road...yours certainly does look very good! 8-)
TOPTACTICAL
New Shotgunner

Post by TOPTACTICAL »

Thanks a lot jpfrog. If i can help you only write me ;)
bbull311
Shotgunner

Post by bbull311 »

My Remington 870 Magnum. My wife bought this for me used at a VERY good price. I have been playing around with the set up for about 7 years now. It has been a lot of trial and error but this is what I have ended up with. It works really well for me. I ran it through a school about 2 months ago and it performed flawlessly.

Choate stock shortened to 12" length of pull
Magpul MS2 sling
Esstac shotgun card
Van Comp big safety
Surefire 618 forend
Tacstar +2 extension
Vang Comp follower

I also replaced all of the springs right after I got it and have spent some time on the action bars with stones and sand paper cloth to smooth up the action. I still plan on adding ghost ring sights (Trijicon or Vang Comp), a top rail, and a Trijicon Reflex sight. I have had a great time playing with this and trying different things on it. My next build will be an 870 14" SBS. I plan on using another used receiver and having a good time with that also.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss
Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly »

bbull311, nice shotgun! Be sure to post pics of you new 870!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun
M1AG30
Valued Shotgunner

Post by M1AG30 »

TOPTACTICAL wrote: The Heatshield and the Cheek Piece are made in polymer and weighs almost nothing.
might you have info on this heatshield....manufacturer purchasing info?
It is their God's decision to forgive our enemies,
It is our duty to arrange the meeting!
Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody »

A few changes to the 870-P since my first post.
Remington 2-shot extension
Scattergun Tech +2 spring
S&J Hardware follower, detachable shell carrier, and jumbo safety (with red automotive touch-up paint on the Fire side)
-I also cut the bottom right corner of the velcro base so it doesn't cover the serial number or trigger group pins.
Talon QR sling swivels
M1 Garand-type cotton web sling

photo upload
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.
n4rod
New Shotgunner

Post by n4rod »

Lots of nice tactical 870s showing up. Some day I'm going to build one on the tactical side. I've been a bird hunter for 50 years, so my guns are from that side of the field. This photo shows three of the five 870s I currently own. The one on the top is a 20 gauge Special Field. The one in the middle is a 12 gauge Special Field. And the camo one on the bottom is a SPS-T 12 gauge turkey gun.

The Special Field is a short, fast handling gun that Remington made for about 6-7 years - 1983 until 1989. The first 3 years they had fixed chokes, then in 1986 they switched to Remchokes. They have a shortened magazine tube that holds only 3 shells. The barrel lug that is welded on the barrel and goes around the mag tube is located 3 inches closer to the breech end, so these barrels are not interchangeable with standard 870 barrels. The forend is shorter, and the stock is the straight grip style. They have 21 inch barrels. These are incredibly fast swinging bird guns and I have used them all over the U.S. for many different types of bird hunting.

Haven't done any turkey hunting with the SPS-T but have put down a fair share of coyotes at a quail and pheasant hunting club.

The two guns missing from this photo are a 870 Wingmaster in .410 that I use for doves and squirrels, and my 62 year old, 1st year production 870AP 12 gauge made in June 1950 that I purchased to replace the original one my father handed down to me in 1959.

The model I've been searching for several decades to find is a "F" grade 870. It is the fully engraved "presentation grade" model that seems to be very hard to find, and to afford if I ever do find one.

As you can see in the top left of the photo, my Abyssinian gives her approval to the collection of 870s.

Rod
Attachments
Rem870.jpg
Rem870.jpg (195.42 KiB) Viewed 65880 times
Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly »

n4rod, good shotguns, really like them! Do you plan to participate in photo contest: http://www.rem870.com/2012/08/24/reming ... t-started/

P.S.: Cute cat! :)
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun
badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Post by badboybeeson »

Chief Brody wrote:A few changes to the 870-P since my first post.
Remington 2-shot extension
Scattergun Tech +2 spring
S&J Hardware follower, detachable shell carrier, and jumbo safety (with red automotive touch-up paint on the Fire side)
-I also cut the bottom right corner of the velcro base so it doesn't cover the serial number or trigger group pins.
Talon QR sling swivels
M1 Garand-type cotton web sling

photo upload

Thats one sexy looking shotgun
Our green DSC shell holder looks really good in that set up, much better then black i think
simon