Who Uses an 870 for Clays?

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Who Uses an 870 for Clays?

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:04 pm

I'll admit that I started out using a rather pedestrian 870 Express Synthetic to shoot trap, because I intended to hunt ducks and other critters with it and figured that hitting clays was a good learning curve for moving targets. As I became addicted to trap, I moved up thru successive shotguns until I got my current Beretta. But there's a special place in my safe for the Express, who now wears a slug barrel. One of the rationale's for moving to an o/u shotgun for trap is speed on doubles. Yet lots of pics of the old timer champions shooting with vintage pump guns tells me that it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

So, who uses an 870 still for trap, and especially doubles? What did you do to learn speed on doubles or wobbles where the whole use of the gun is allowed (meaning a 2nd shot)?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: Who Uses an 870 for Clays?

Post by Banshee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm

I use a 870 TC Trap to shoot trap. Well I did, i haven’t shot any trap in a few years.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Banshee wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm
... i haven’t shot any trap in a few years.
Gotta get back out there! We're a small club here, but we shoot in rain and snow until it gets below 20F when the throwers (Pat Traps's) may get iffy. Oh, and it's dark now by Wednesday evening public shoot and League night, so the big stadium lights make it … er…..fun!

Any good tips on racking for doubles?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm

“Any good tips on racking for doubles?“

Yes sir, more practice, practice and more practice
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.