Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

sslater0679
New Shotgunner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by sslater0679 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 am

I have a Remington 870 Express Tactical with magpul furniture. My question is I am wanting to do some skeet/trap shooting with it as well. I found a couple of 28" barrels one is a factory Remington Barrel 870 Express 12 Gauge 3" 28" Rem Choke Vent Rib Matte and the other is a Carlson's Barrel Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge 3" 28" Rem Choke Red Fiber Optic Sight. Would either one of these work with my shotgun? And what would be everyone's preference as far as which brand to choose. I was leaning toward the Carlsons, for the simple fact it has a fiber optic front site.

Any info would be great.

Thanks, Spencer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

User avatar
ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 am
Location: Upstate, SC

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by ponycarman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 am

Does you 870 have the full length mag tube or the removable mag extension?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

sslater0679
New Shotgunner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by sslater0679 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 pm

ponycarman wrote:Does you 870 have the full length mag tube or the removable mag extension?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure it is the full length mag tube. I have not added an extension. It will currently hold five shells.

User avatar
ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 am
Location: Upstate, SC

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by ponycarman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Some 870's came with the extension already installed. If there is an extension then it is removable and the longer barrels should work. If it is a one piece extended mag tube that just comes short of the muzzle then I don't think they will work. The barrel lugs are in different places.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

sslater0679
New Shotgunner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by sslater0679 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 pm

ponycarman wrote:Some 870's came with the extension already installed. If there is an extension then it is removable and the longer barrels should work. If it is a one piece extended mag tube that just comes short of the muzzle then I don't think they will work. The barrel lugs are in different places.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Yea the magazine tube does come right before the muzzle.

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 pm

sslater0679 wrote:Yea the magazine tube does come right before the muzzle.
If this is the gun you have:
Image

You're stuck with 18.5" barrels unless you or someone you know can make custom parts for you.

sslater0679
New Shotgunner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by sslater0679 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 am

Synchronizor wrote:
sslater0679 wrote:Yea the magazine tube does come right before the muzzle.
If this is the gun you have:
Image

You're stuck with 18.5" barrels unless you or someone you know can make custom parts for you.
Yea that's the gun. I guess that will give me a reason to get another shotgun. :)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sslater0679
New Shotgunner
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by sslater0679 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:32 am

So switching gears what would be a good shotgun for skeet and/or trap, on a fairly cheap budget. I'm talking around 500.00 or so.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 am

If you want to look into it, I have heard some people say that barrels from H&R Pardner Pump clones of the 870 will fit on the 6+1 870 receivers. I don't know if they're 100% compatible, but it may be worth looking into. Randomguns started a thread on it here
sslater0679 wrote:So switching gears what would be a good shotgun for skeet and/or trap, on a fairly cheap budget. I'm talking around 500.00 or so.
Personally, I just put my 28" vent-rib barrel on my 870, pick the right choke tube for the job, and I do pretty well with it. Really hardcore competition shooters usually like break-action shotguns, but I like to use something I'm familiar with. I have a friend who's been at it longer than I have, and she has two 870s, one for HD, and another set up for trap shooting.

nsutherl
New Shotgunner
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 am

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by nsutherl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:10 pm

sslater0679 wrote:So switching gears what would be a good shotgun for skeet and/or trap, on a fairly cheap budget. I'm talking around 500.00 or so.
I picked up my 84 Wingmaster in 95%+ condition for $400 at a gun show and I use it exclusively for busting clays. Any pump action with a ~28" barrel and bead sight (or similar) should work for you.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest