How to load for home defense

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
foxhunter
New Shotgunner

How to load for home defense

Post by foxhunter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I’m still new to my 870 mariner, how do you guys load it for home defense
Do you load one in the pipe with safety on, or just load the tube mag. with the safety on??
You can tell I’m still new but I’m starting to like it. I got 4 or 5 upgrades for it and just took them off I like it kiss. better

Thanks

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Re: How to load for home defense

Post by MStarmer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 am

You will have to decide what works for you and your storage / accessibility situation. With that said the general consensus is "Cruiser Ready" or "Cruiser Safe". The MagPul shotgun video does a pretty good explanation of the different modes, but basically it's

Full magazine tube, empty chamber, hammer cocked and safety ON. This locks the slide so that it does not try to load a round if someone grabs it and pushes the slide back.

Full magazine tube, empty chamber, hammer down and safety OFF. This keeps the gun in a state where you just rack it and it's ready to fire, no buttons to push or safety to disengage.

Full magazine, chambered round, hammer cocked and safety ON. Obviously just disengage the safety and FIRE.

I used to keep mine chamber empty, hammer down and safety off but the slide so easily moves that I feel a whole lot more comfortable with it locked. So full tube, empty chamber, hammer cocked and safety on. That way it's (2) distinct operations to fire.

Whatever you decide just make sure you are consistent.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:33 am

I do "cruiser ready" myself:

Shotgun unloaded, checked, checked again, then the hammer is dropped on an empty chamber. Then four buckshot shells get loaded into the tube magazine. That's it.

Gun is retrieved, action cocks hammer and loads first shell in the tube magazine, weapon is shouldered, safety comes off, finger indexed along the side of the receiver. Threat is assessed... If time permits... IF... then the magazine is topped off with a shot shell from the side-saddle while the shotgun remains shouldered and dominant/shooting hand remains on the pistol grip scanning the threatening direction.

You may have a method you prefer. This is what I've trained for, and so I'll stick with it.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm

I also keep the magazine loaded, with an empty chamber. A loaded chamber can be dangerous when you're fumbling for the gun, half-asleep, in the dark, etc. Compared to the time needed to deploy a shotgun, racking it doesn't make much of a difference.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 pm

I dont intend to reopen this debate. Everyones different. But i keep mine with a full tube with a round chambered and safety ON.

foxhunter
New Shotgunner

Post by foxhunter » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks for the feedbacks I will use Fiocchi 00BK low recoil 1150 fps

navyshooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by navyshooter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 am

6 rounds in the tube, Chamber empty, safety on, and 6 rounds in the sidesaddle.
"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Montani Semper Liberi

Short Bus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Short Bus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Kentactic wrote:I dont intend to reopen this debate. Everyones different. But i keep mine with a full tube with a round chambered and safety ON.
Me too

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:57 am

Kentactic wrote:I dont intend to reopen this debate. Everyones different. But i keep mine with a full tube with a round chambered and safety ON.
same here and loaded with Hornday Tap 00Buck
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Reaper
Active Shotgunner

Post by Reaper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:11 am

Mag fully loaded, 6 in the side saddle, chamber empty, safety on. PMC #4 buck-27 pellets-1325 fps