Custom Grips

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
RichNZ
Global Moderator

Custom Grips

Post by RichNZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:31 am

Wanted a new grip for my AR to get betting trigger finger placement, and even the Ergo grip wasn't enough to stop me wrapping my finger around the trigger completely... so thought I'd try a custom one.

http://ratgrips.com/ (yeah, the video's are a bit too tacti-cool for me, but skip the intro and turn the music down and the how-to's are pretty straight forward)

These are plastic pieces that you heat with a heatgun to make them soft and sticky, pop them on your gun and mould to the shape of your hand/cheek.

You're going to want to use the glove provided. That molten plastic burns like hellfire. And it's as simple as that. Heat the plastic, stick it on, mould where you want it to go, and voila. The longer you spend, the better it'll look. Well, it won't win any beauty awards, but it'll be damn comfortable!

Not too keen to put it on my lovely Claro Walnut Wingmaster 870, but might interest some people. The pads they do would make a great custom cheek pad.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Custom Grips

Post by Vitaly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 am

RichNZ wrote:Wanted a new grip for my AR to get betting trigger finger placement, and even the Ergo grip wasn't enough to stop me wrapping my finger around the trigger completely... so thought I'd try a custom one.

http://ratgrips.com/ (yeah, the video's are a bit too tacti-cool for me, but skip the intro and turn the music down and the how-to's are pretty straight forward)

These are plastic pieces that you heat with a heatgun to make them soft and sticky, pop them on your gun and mould to the shape of your hand/cheek.

You're going to want to use the glove provided. That molten plastic burns like hellfire. And it's as simple as that. Heat the plastic, stick it on, mould where you want it to go, and voila. The longer you spend, the better it'll look. Well, it won't win any beauty awards, but it'll be damn comfortable!

Not too keen to put it on my lovely Claro Walnut Wingmaster 870, but might interest some people. The pads they do would make a great custom cheek pad.

Rich, thanks for sharing your experience with ratgrips with us! I want to say that your grip looks much better than one in their instructional video :)

As you know, I have got ratgrips too but didn't have a chance to test them yet. Will post a follow up when I finally use them.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:48 am

Ha! Yeah, i realise they chose a colour that would stand out in the video to make it easier to see, but it does look pretty bad :)

I really wasn't too sure about them 5mins into the moulding, but you get better at it pretty quickly. Following day it's hardened nicely. I'd have no worries adding more material at a later date for more palm swell, or remoulding if i want it changed. Really is very easy to do.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 am

Looks like an interesting product. What kind of durometer does the material have after it sets?

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 am

Set firmer than i thought it would, firmer than the very-firm pencil-eraser style of the ergo grip i had on before. It's got a slight rubbery give to it when pushed with a fingernail, but barely any give when gripping. Scuffed it against concrete wall in garage, slight shiney scuff to the surface, but a rub with the hand and never know it was there. Seems pretty hardy.

I spose if it gets damaged at all, can just hit it with the heat gun and mould the wound smooth again, but think i'd need something pretty hot, or a sharpe knife to do much damage.