Ammunition preferance.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
SharksFan
Shotgunner

Ammunition preferance.

Post by SharksFan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Nearly everyone has their own favorite brand that they hold in higher regards than others. Maybe you have a least favorite, too. Just name your poison, and what pains and ails you.

Favorite: Federal.
Not once have I had an issue with a Federal cartridge that wasn't user error. They pattern well and always extract and eject for me. If it works, why change it?

Least favorite: Winchester.
It's about the exact opposite with Winchester. It doesn't matter which shotgun I've used them in, there's always an issue. It really get's annoying chasing Gambles quail in the mountains when you have to stop and run the rod through every time you fire a round. I'd like to say there was something wrong with our firearms or something we're doing, but it's the only brand I've ever had that kind of problem with. Maybe it was because it was the cheap stuff? Doesn't really matter. Staying far away from them at all times.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Ammunition preferance.

Post by Vitaly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 am

My favorite manufacturer of the 12 gauge slugs is GECO. I have tried a lot of slugs, but slugs made by GECO are the most accurate ones. I use them on all competitions and was able to hit targets on 50-100 meters without any problems.

Rottweil slugs are fantastic but very expensive.

RIO and ELEY are my favorite brands of the birdshot. RIO's buckshot is good too.

Federal is great but it is very expensive here, so I can't use it often.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm

I like the light range that Hull Cartridges do for clays, especially if you've got a whole day of constant shooting. Their 24gram 12bore shells are soft to shoot and can still break targets repeatedly out to any range a heavier load can. AND i don't feel like I've been in a car accident by the end of the day like most of the other guys :lol: Hard to find down this end of the world though.

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 am

What about the new Hornady Zombie 00 Z Shot 12G 8 pellets at 1600FPS. Although i have never had to use any yet it comes in a sweet box LOL. The perfect round for the undead? CZA [ Canadian Zombie Alert ].
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Ha! Nice :lol:

SharksFan
Shotgunner

Post by SharksFan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 am

Seems a bit gimmicky, but if it shoots well. Would certainly make it easier to pick out from all the other boxes in the chest. Might make a good conversation piece at the range, too. :lol:

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Post by badboybeeson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 am

the S&B spl sport slugs is what iu lik the most.

dan43935
New Shotgunner

Post by dan43935 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:30 pm

I geuss it all depends on YOUR gun. My 870 SP Magnum Really likes Hornaday Superformance Buckshot. I get Great patterns out to 25yds. with this ammo(seems a little on the +P side too!!), but my buddys 870 Police Magnum, both 18.5" barrels gets better patterns with something else (think it's Federal, but not sure). His dosen't pattern nearly as well with the Hornaday stuff!! I was taught that it is Neccessary to pattern your shotgun with several choices of ammo, to determine which patterns/performs best with your shotgun!! Mine is loaded with the Hornaday for now, time and testing will determine if it stays there. So far I haven't made any decisions on slugs, still testing!! Interested in getting some good combat sights installed in the near future!!

On the Zombie bullets...
I have 9mm Hornaday Critical Defense, 115gr FTX in my Glock 17 RTF2. It really seems to like this ammo. I bought a box of Zombie rounds at Cabelas(I live less than 5 miles from a Cabelas!! I love it!!), anyways, The Zombie rnds appear to be Identical to the Critical Defense rnds with a green polymer plug instead of a red polymer plug. Price per box is the same too(at Cabelas) $16.99. The only difference I see would be legal.... If some scumbag lawyer found out you shot that poor mis-guided home-invasion burglar with "Zombie Killer" ammo!!
"There are few personal problems which cannot be resolved through a suitable application of High Explosives!!"

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 am

For clays, I will take Remington STS/Nitro over all others. Their hulls are outstanding. I prefer stuffing them with my recipes though.

For slugs, my favorite was the original Remington Copper Solids hollow point sabots. They were very accurate in my rifled barrel and their on game performance was superb.

For buckshot, I buy what ever is on sale.

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:53 am

Hntbambi wrote:For clays, I will take Remington STS/Nitro over all others.

for clays I prefer estate 'competition loads' but i havnt really shot the nitro. anyone else? always looking for input

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.