Is this normal--Updated with pics of "after"

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Is this normal--Updated with pics of "after"

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 am

I just bought a prison turn in 870 and want to clean it up and get it ready for HD duty.

When the gun is held muzzle up, and the action is racked closed, the gun is cocked in battery (on an empty chamber). The forend remains locked forward.

When the gun is held muzzle up, with the action is racked closed, and the gun is in the “discharged” state, (the trigger has been pulled). The forend grip and tube “sags” under just the weight of the forend about 1". Is that normal?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by FootSoldier on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Is this normal

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 am

Yes, this is normal - especially for a well-used 870. Close the action, then open it while watching the bolt and the slide assembly (the thing the bolt sits on). You'll notice that the fore-end, action bars, and slide assembly move backward a fraction of an inch before the bolt unlocks and starts moving backward too. When the gun is cocked and the action is locked closed, the action bar lock prevents the slide assembly and bolt from moving back. But when the hammer is dropped, the slide assembly is free to move because the action bar lock is disengaged, and when the gun is vertical, gravity allows the fore-end and slide assemblies to slide back until the hammer pressed against the back of the bolt stops them.

FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 am

These are some pics of my for-end rails. I don't think they show any sign of excessive wear, but I wanted an informed opinion.

Thanks!

FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 am

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:43 am

They look fine to me. They seem to be an older-style design (newer 870 action bars have longer, less-abrupt angles for smoother operation), but I don't see any obvious damage or excessive wear.

Do you know what year your gun is? Those action bars look like they might be from a pre-flex-tab 870, but I can't see enough to tell for sure.

FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 am

If I am reading the website reference and barrel code correctly (I think I see WG) then 1986.

Last edited by FootSoldier on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:21 am

Here's a better view of the forend and rails.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 am

I'm not sure about the barrel, but those action bars are definitely cut out for the old-style (pre-1984) action parts. However, the barrel and/or fore-end tube assembly might not be original to the gun, especially if it was one of several 870s in an armory.

What's the first letter in the gun's serial number? And are your slide assembly, breech bolt, and shell carrier old- or new-style?

ImageImageImage

FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 am

Model says 870 Magnum, Serial # starts with 'W' ends with 'M'.

Looks like maybe the armory was mixing and matching. Slide is old style, breach bolt is new, and shell carrier is new style also.

FootSoldier
Shotgunner

Post by FootSoldier » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 am

Here she is before I started my project: