Help...Need slug Barrel for 870 Tactical.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
ghendricks63

Help...Need slug Barrel for 870 Tactical.

Post by ghendricks63 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi all...brand new so I apologize if this has been covered.

I have an 870 Tactical with the 6 shell magazine. I would like to put a slug barrel on it for hunting but all of the barrels I can find are set up for the shorter magazine. (Mine is not an extension) Does anyone know if there is a slug barrel for my 870 or if there is an accessory sleeve of some kind that would allow me to use a standard slug barrel and lock it in?

Thanks all...great forum.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Help...Need slug Barrel for 870 Tactical.

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 pm

You only need to make one thread.

The only barrels made for 870s with the long, single-piece magazine tubes are 18.5" HD-style barrels. If you want something besides that for your gun, you'll have to have some custom work done to modify a standard barrel. I wouldn't recommend just sticking a chunk of pipe or tubing over the magazine tube, for obvious reasons. A purpose-built spacer would probably be possible, but unless you have a machine shop in your garage, it's not going to be cheap.

ghendricks63

Post by ghendricks63 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes sorry bout the double post. Thanks for the feedback and photos. Mine is the Express Tactical in your bottom photo on the top. When I bought it I only had home defense in mind as I have not been a hunter. However I am wanting to get into deer hunting and in Indiana firearm's are limited to muzzle loaders, shotguns, or large bore pistol shells. I know some guys hunt with my 870 using just the front bead and standard rifled slugs with reasonable success. But I would love to get standard rifle sights and be able to load sabots or equivalent. Long range shots are rare around here so I might try my luck with just the front bead and see what happens. I guess I was not aware when I purchased my 870 that it was a non-standard configuration. But like I said...only had home defense in mind so likely would not have cared anyway.

Anyway...thanks again for the great info.

Would love to know if anyone has successfully put a slug barrel on my gun though and how difficult it was.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:05 pm

The biggest problem with the long-mag 870s is that a lot of the people selling them don't know to warn customers that it's a single-purpose variant. As a dedicated combat shotgun, the simplified magazine tube works great, but I've seen a ton of people who bought one under the assumption that they'd be able to buy another barrel for clays or hunting, only to learn the truth the hard way.

You're probably out of luck if you want a rifled barrel for sabot slugs. But, if you just want improved sights for more precision with smoothbore slugs, you can add those to your current barrel and/or receiver.

ghendricks63

Post by ghendricks63 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Yeah the dealer I bought from said nothing about not getting other barrels for it. I can't totally blame him though as I was only looking for a home defense shotgun and what he recommended fit the bill perfectly.

I am still puzzled though about the lack of options. Maybe I am not seeing the full picture so correct me if I am wrong. But it seems to me that all that would be necessary is for someone to manufacture a mag sleeve of the correct length to fit between the barrel ring and the screw cap? What am I missing? Made of the same material as the barrel ring it seems like it would serve the same function and, voila, problem solved. Of course if that was all there was to it surely somebody would have them for sale by now...no?

Ace of Spades
Shotgunner

Post by Ace of Spades » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm

You've got one of the best 870's available, complete with Cerakote! Don't worry about the slug barrel get slugs for a smoothbore barrel and just clamp on a quick release Aimpoint H-1 or T-1 low mount from La Rue Tactical. Sight it in at the range or wherever and you'll be able to hit a dinner plate at 100 yards no problem. I promise you won't look back, it's like cheating, and you can also put the Aimpoint on pistols or rifles too. I use a 4 MOA and love it. If you are hunting keep a couple of spare batteries with you because they don't last as long as Aimpoint claims. Otherwise it's a no-brainer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” Albert Einstein

ghendricks63

Post by ghendricks63 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Sounds like a great option. Unfortunately spending 6-700 dollars on a scope is not an option for me.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 am

ghendricks63 wrote:Sounds like a great option. Unfortunately spending 6-700 dollars on a scope is not an option for me.
There's really no need for a fancy optic if you're not shooting specialized slugs out of a rifled barrel. Used effectively, an appropriate set of iron sights will work just fine within the practical range of a smoothbore slug gun. Some people prefer an optic for various reasons ("cool factor", poor eyesight, etc.), but even then, you shouldn't need to shell out for something really expensive to get the most out of smoothbore slugs.

Richland

Post by Richland » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I just bought the same gun. 870 express tactical. the guy at the store told me to just use rifled slugs in the barrel. is this OK?
BTW great forum glad I found it...
Thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:38 am

Normal lead Foster (or "rifled") slugs can handle most chokes just fine. The soft lead gets swaged down as it passes through the constriction without causing excessive pressure or wear. Shooting them through very tight chokes that are only meant to be used with shot may cause issues, especially if done repeatedly, but none of the Express Tactical models should have constrictions that tight.