Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by Zebra62 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Thats a good looking set-up you have there, Automag. Very clean. Is your side saddle from Mesa Tactical? It looks like the one I have been looking at picking up for mine. I am going to keep mine simple, too and focus more on fine tuning the actual working parts. The toys are cool and all that, but in the role I have for mine, they just aren't needed. External additions will be kept to a minimum, including only a side saddle carrier, stock carrier, sling and a flashlight. FM Optics has a flashlight that will screw directly onto the end of the magazine tube.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks Zebra. Yes, that's a Mesa 6rd but mine has a 5" Pic Rail Mount. I have really liked having it on my 870, very functional, still easy to aim, and allows optics or other accessories to be mounted. I'm "considering" taking it off and just using a basic Mesa Sureshell 6rd Sidesaddle, but i sure would miss having the Pic rail. I'm just looking to go back to using the stnadard shotgun sights (i have 18.5 Bead and a 20" Rifle Sights Barrels) and keep it simple. Sorry to digress, a little, the Mesa 6rd sueshell is the overall Best sidesaddle you could get for your gun. I highly recommend the Mesa, they are awesome.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:01 am

Other than the cool rail, I like the fact it bolts through both sides. I want one for mine so bad I can almost taste it, but it will need to wait for a while. I have other things to deal with first...like feeding the children, keeping the air conditioners running. CRAP like that. But it was only 103 today. I should be happy.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 am

Got some pics of our rigs to share. I haven't done anything major to them, but I am keeping them simple for now.

The only mods I have done are changing out the MIM extractors to non-MIM Marine Magnum extractors, springs and followers. Its a good thing I got the springs and followers because when I pulled the OE from mine, the spring and follower separated from the weapon and became lost in oblivion. And Gypsy was worried I wouldn't be able to do it. O, She of little faith. I have polished the receivers on both weapons and polished the bolt carrier on mine. Not quite finished with it. Need to get back over to Lowes and pick up another polishing disk or two. Looks good so far.

Both have butt stock carriers, an Uncle Mike five round for Hers and a California Competition 7 round forearm carrier for mine. I didn't read the discription on it carefully enough, but it was cheap enough. Since the carrier is so long, I can only carry 6 insteac od 7, leaving the front slot empty because it interferes with my wrist with a round in it, but it looks good and holds well enough.Total capacities are now 13 for the 12 gauge and 16 for the 20 gauge.

Also, on mine I have a Choate sling clamp. I know it doesn't need it, but I had one laying around from the mag extrention problem with the 20 gauge.

Mods to follow.....8 round Mesa Tactical side saddle for the 20 gauge, 6 round Mesa Tactical side saddle for the 12 gauge ( one like AutoMags ) and Police trigger plates for each. I like the all metal design of them over the synthetic we have now. Then a single point sling for mine. Still making my decision on that one.

Edited in 7-1-13.
Last edited by Zebra62 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubiconscott
New Shotgunner

Post by rubiconscott » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 am

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Zebra62 wrote:Other than the cool rail, I like the fact it bolts through both sides. I want one for mine so bad I can almost taste it, but it will need to wait for a while. I have other things to deal with first...like feeding the children, keeping the air conditioners running. CRAP like that. But it was only 103 today. I should be happy.
I have similar "problems" with crap like that--LOL. Only 103, damn man-gotta love Texas ;)

Nice pics of your shotguns. I especially like the polished bolt and reciever, good job. Post pics when you finish with your upgrades. Oh yeah, sweet 20ga for your wife.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:23 pm

rubiconscott, very sweet shotguns. Love that Camo 870, and the MM Shorty is really cool! 8-)

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Did some more polishing on my bolt carrier today. Still not quite as shiny as I want, but well on its way. I need to get another block of rouge from work before I continue.

I took this one on the kitchen counter, accoounting for the rich orange color of everything. It does show the reflective quality of the extractor though. In case anyone is wondering, I did disassemble the carrier before polishing.

These next two pics I took outside on the tailgate of my old truck so I could use the sunlight. I used the dirty polishing rag to hold the carrier up a little and to show how shiny it is. Still have lots of little dimples from when it was manufactured, but I am working on it.

This last one is on the kitchen counter again on the piece of plywood I was working on. Gotta love the deep orange provided by inside lighting. This shows a good example of what the surface looked like before I began polishing. When I am finished, the entire carrier will be highly polished, not just the outside like I have seen on a few videos.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Looking pretty damn good Zebra, Polished bolts look great and really make an 870 "stand out". Nice job!

nbk13nw
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by nbk13nw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Yeah, I polished mine after seeing yours Zebra62. I need to get some pics up. I like the look a lot. I also went ahead and did the barrels on my handguns as well...