Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
reeps
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by reeps » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:32 am

I really like the color of that wood. That shotgun seems like the opposite of mine within the HD arena, but I love the way it was done.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Haha thanks guys - and MStarmer, that's a good offer, I'll have to mull it over a bit.
That's an old photo, too. Back before I learned to put the first side saddle shell upside down, to quickly slap it into the chamber. Plus, it's got a TLR-1 mounted to the mag tube now. Next mod will be to cut down the stock. At my last match, I shouldered another guy's 870 that he'd cut down, and wow, it really made a difference. Much quicker to get on target and just more comfortable all around. Eventually I'll get around to the XS Big Dot and maybe a chrome bolt.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:17 am

I don't know why Remington and most other manufacturers have to insist on such a long LOP? Not all of us have ape-arms and still have to be able to pump that thing... My wife's 930SPX is long but since it's an auto it's not so much of an issue. So go ahead and enjoy that thing and chop that sucker off, I did the first one myself but the second one (as I posted) it was worth the $60 just to have it done by a pro.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 am

Could you tell me the LOP of the the 870P originally? I'm trying to look at mine and get an idea of how much was hacked off. Thanks.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:20 am

MStarmer wrote:I don't know why Remington and most other manufacturers have to insist on such a long LOP? Not all of us have ape-arms and still have to be able to pump that thing... My wife's 930SPX is long but since it's an auto it's not so much of an issue. So go ahead and enjoy that thing and chop that sucker off, I did the first one myself but the second one (as I posted) it was worth the $60 just to have it done by a pro.
My height and arm length are pretty much right-on 50th percentile for an adult male, and I don't have any issues working my 870 with its standard Police walnut furniture (with my technique). Remember that the short Police fore-ends will require you to reach a little more to work them. If that really feels like a stretch for you, you might find that a sporting-style fore-end would work better. I have a female friend who runs a long fore-end on her trap gun so she can hold it closer in toward the receiver.
Chief Brody wrote:Could you tell me the LOP of the the 870P originally? I'm trying to look at mine and get an idea of how much was hacked off. Thanks.
The standard LoP for both civilian and LE 870s is 14", as far as I know. That's what my 870P stock measures as, with the original recoil pad and no sling plate or other spacers.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 am

Very good, thanks for the info Synchronizor.

seswho
New Shotgunner

Post by seswho » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 am

Here's my little friend...
20130227_165735-1.jpg
20130227_165735-1.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 7741 times
--

Steve Steiner

You will never know the blessings you lose from “shooting the messenger”, instead of listening or reading the message that was sent.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by JBall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 am

Is that an Aimpoint w/Tac-star furniture?

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:51 pm

I used to have a Choate vertical fore-grip on my 870 for many, many years. Folks who saw it thought I'd OD'd on "Miami Vice" back in the [80s] day--what with my sweet mullet and all :shock: :lol: --but I essentially had seen my "better half" short-stroke the shotgun whist operating it at speed... So I thought I might copy the stock furniture from the Mossberg HS .410... But in a 12-gauge gun. :geek:

I also reasoned that in cases where extraction was difficult, I could bang the buttstock on the ground and have more leverage on the pump, and then return to an underarm position... These days I've just opted for the EOTech integrated light forend, but I still have the Choate like you've got there. How do you like using it? Thanks for the pics.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Heres a pic of my keeping it simple setup, just ordered a Speedfeed Fore-end, TLR-1 HL, and Remington Supercell. The Magpul stock is quick and comfortable to shoot, no more VFG's or toys. Except for what i deem "needed upgrades", i'm going back to a pretty Basic shotgun. There are so many addons and toys for the 870, you can get carried away. i know i'm guilty of that.
Heres my 870 on it's way back to a basic shotgun (minus my new Spedfeed Fore-end and light).
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.