Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Re: Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by DaveC »

Chief Brody wrote:Yeah, I hear ya buddy - I think on that blued finish, all I'd do is a blued OEM +2 for added capacity, and skip the side saddle.
Lately, I've been thinking of cutting my stock to bring down the LOP a bit. I'm having commitment anxiety about the idea, though..
Yah. "keepin' it Olde skool" or "salty" or whatever. Something to be said for the "k.i.s.s." principle every now and then. {Do as I say, not as I do, heh!] :roll: :oops:

Looks quite a bit like a Wingmaster with the chromed bolt and all.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 »

Just picked it up today. 870 express tactical synthetic with FACTORY extension.

Lots of ideas for upgrades and modifications, but those will need to wait for another time.

Many thanks to my friends over at The Great Texas Gun Company.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly »

Nice shotgun! Congratulations!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun
MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer »

I keep getting intrigued by those long magazine extensions... Maybe for my next one, nice gun to start with!
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 »

The thing I like the most about this one being a factory extension is that it has a genuine 6-1 capacity, not a 4-1 with a two round extension. Very cool.

Another thing I found out after the fact was the barrel is not tapped to accept a choke. Smooth bore all the way down. I called back over to TGTGC and told them I couldn't find the choke tool in the box. They told me the gun doesn't have a choke tube, so no tool, but I could buy one if I wanted. It was another Homer Simpson moment. DOH!!

After getting home with my new purchase and showing my wife, she said "OOOOooo. It's so PRETTY. I want one." I think I may have created a monster.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor »

Zebra62 wrote:The thing I like the most about this one being a factory extension is that it has a genuine 6-1 capacity, not a 4-1 with a two round extension.
To me, at least, a factory extension is a separate extension tube that was installed at the factory. What your gun has is simply a one-piece magazine tube, with no extension.
Zebra62 wrote:Another thing I found out after the fact was the barrel is not tapped to accept a choke. Smooth bore all the way down. I called back over to TGTGC and told them I couldn't find the choke tool in the box. They told me the gun doesn't have a choke tube, so no tool, but I could buy one if I wanted. It was another Homer Simpson moment. DOH!!
There is a barrel for the long-mag-tube 870s that is threaded for chokes; Remington uses it on the new 870 Magpul model. You can also have a gunsmith thread your current barrel for chokes if you want.
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 »

I was wondering about the barrel swapping issue having the longer magazine, but it isn't something I will be looking into. The OE barrel is short enough for HD purposes and the only reason I might want it threaded is for a breach extension to add to the intimidation factor.

My short term modifications/upgrades are mostly performance related. I will be ordering in the near future an extractor and spring (for both of our 870's). We have not had an extraction issue with Gypsy's 20 gauge nor do I expect it with my new one, but the possibility is there. I also plan the order a recoil reducing stock of some flavor, but have not made my decision on which one yet.

Other modifications include a side saddle, a tactical sling and a nice set of ghost ring sights.

"Loretta", as I call her, will sleep next to the bed over night. I will swap her into the closet every morning when I get ready for work. That is when "Bernadette", my Mossberg 500 Cruiser, comes out of the closet so we can go to work. The closet is only unlocked when Gypsy or I need to get in the closet. The rest of the time the closet is locked against the children.

JBall
Super Shotgunner

Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by JBall »

If you are really set on a recoil reducing stock AVOID THE BLACKHAWK SPEC OPS 2 or whatever they call that P.O.S. these days. I promise you will regret it the first time you fire and you realize the spring positioning in the handle causes some of the recoil to be forced up and it will smack your cheek HARD regardless of your "weld".
The Inidine Buffer is the only way to go. Mesa tactical makes a RRK that features it, Brownells has they're own kit for a while as well that I believe gas recently been discontinued. It's really an amazing and the hydrolic buffer actually works as compared to a few stupid springs.
If you don't believe me and have your heart set on the Blackhawk just do yourself a favor and watch NutNFancy's review of the product on youtube. He had the same issues plus breakage and he actually runs this equipment and puts it to the test.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I41htjbudh4
Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly »

JBall wrote:If you are really set on a recoil reducing stock AVOID THE BLACKHAWK SPEC OPS 2 or whatever they call that P.O.S. these days. I promise you will regret it the first time you fire and you realize the spring positioning in the handle causes some of the recoil to be forced up and it will smack your cheek HARD regardless of your "weld".
The Inidine Buffer is the only way to go. Mesa tactical makes a RRK that features it, Brownells has they're own kit for a while as well that I believe gas recently been discontinued. It's really an amazing and the hydrolic buffer actually works as compared to a few stupid springs.
If you don't believe me and have your heart set on the Blackhawk just do yourself a favor and watch NutNFancy's review of the product on youtube. He had the same issues plus breakage and he actually runs this equipment and puts it to the test.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I41htjbudh4
Actually, it slaps you if you don't shoulder it properly. I have used Spec Ops and it was slapping me first 20-30 rounds but then I was able to run it without any problems for a pretty long time. Also, Spec Ops 2 is better than the 1st gen. There are some reader here which found it to be pretty good.

My review: Knoxx SpecOps Stock, Forend and PowerPak Review
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun
nbk13nw
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by nbk13nw »

I am running the Gen 2. After 500+ rounds I have not had that issue. But I did get some slap with the cheek riser installed. I have since gone to the Burris SpeedBead and removed the riser. Not a "B" slap since.