Federal Tactical 00 patterned

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Federal Tactical 00 patterned

Post by MStarmer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Had the opportunity to take a 1 day shotgun class on Sunday and put my fresh 870 build thru it's paces. Worked well except for the Magpul single point sling adapter, during left hand drills it just about breaks bones in your hand during recoil. I wondered about it when I put it on but didn't shoot weak hand until the class. Bruised the bone no doubt.

Anyway at one point of the class they have us pattern our shotguns at 4, 7, 10, 15 and 25yrds with our defensive loads to see how they do. This is from a modified choke 18.5" rifle sighted barrel and Federal reduced recoil 9 pellet 00 buck. Out of the 10 or so people in my relay I have to say my groups were the tightest at distance. The left target is 9 rnds of cheap Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs. Printed pretty good other than one I pulled a little to the right. The extra holes around the edge are just from staples.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Federal Tactical 00 patterned

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 am

Those are some nice groups, especially that 25-yard one. Lower-velocity loads tend to pattern tighter than higher-power stuff, but do those shells also have a wad or buffering that help?

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 am

Excellent! first-rate! I'm taking my third defensive shotgun class in three days. In the past I've had phenomenal patterning in a cynlinder bore Mossberg-mfr 870 barrel using Federal low-recoil 00 buckshot. I'm going to try some Remington slugs, but I thought those Fiocchi slugs were not too bad at all.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:10 am

They were the flite control ones. Looking at the closer target you can see granular filler that must make up some of the wadding. Keep in mind my barrel is fixed "Mod" so it gets as good as it gets. One of the instructors wanted to put a few rounds of the flite control thru my wife's 930SPX as it runs cyclinder bore. Her groups were considerably bigger but she was using Fiochhi low recoil 00 buck. When another opportunity arises I want use the cheap ammo in the choke guns and the flite control stuff in the unchoked one.

MStarmer
Super Shotgunner

Post by MStarmer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 am

DaveC wrote:Excellent! first-rate! I'm taking my third defensive shotgun class in three days. In the past I've had phenomenal patterning in a cynlinder bore Mossberg-mfr 870 barrel using Federal low-recoil 00 buckshot. I'm going to try some Remington slugs, but I thought those Fiocchi slugs were not too bad at all.

I've used the Fiocchi slugs out to 50yrds and they pretty much touch. 25yrds you can do it off hand. The downside is the leading left behind, both my bores are coated quite thoroughly and it's going to take little bit to clean them out.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Really nice grouping, especially at the 25 yrd distance. It's interesting to see how low recoil shells group, i rarely use them myself. Pretty impressive patterns. I'm not suprised you bruised your hand; i've actually never heard about training to shoot with your weak hand on a shotgun. But then again, i've never taken a civilian shooting class or course. I do think they are really helpful, and can only build your skills.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.