flexitab carrier?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
GunNut71
New Shotgunner

flexitab carrier?

Post by GunNut71 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:10 pm

I want to change my Wingmaster carrier assembly to the flexitab assembly. Do I just need the carrier itself, or an upgrade kit, such as the one sold by Brownells, and almost impossible to get?

http://tinyurl.com/bm4mdot

Vitaly
Owner

Re: flexitab carrier?

Post by Vitaly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01 pm

I think you need an upgrade kit, because parts from kit are little different.

As I know, you can modify slide to make it compatible with flexitab carrier...
I simply don't have an old style parts to make a video with modification.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 am

You can just install the flexitab carrier but the system won't function quite like it should. I have an old wingmaster that had a broken carrier. The only style being made now is the flexitab carriers. The shotgun functions fine. But the flexitab system is incomplete. I believe it is the carrier, bolt, and one other part. I tested the wingmaster after I swapped the carriers to see if the system would prevent the jamming it was intended to stop. And it sorta does but not quite. On multiple occasions the shotgun extracted the shell but failed to eject without some persuason. After inspecting the shells I noticed some deep marks in the rim of the shell. Almost like you had to pull the rim over or through something.

I guess the long short is, the newer carrier will work in the old wingmasters. But if you want the flexitab system to function how it is supposed to then you need to fully convert it or modify it. Hope this helps :)

GunNut71
New Shotgunner

Post by GunNut71 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am

okay...thanks for the replies. i think i will just leave it as is until i come across an upgrade kit.

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 am

That's correct. The entire assembly should be replaced. I upgraded my duty 870 with the kit several years ago.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.