Optics for a scope mount

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
t-bro

Optics for a scope mount

Post by t-bro » Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 am

Folks,

Trying to turn a 29 year old 870 Express 12 gauge into a HD gun. Bought a magpul forend, an adjustable stock, Carlson extended magazine (7+1), Archangel 7 shot sidecar and tactical choke so the 20” barrel I bought on EBay will be a little proud of the magazine tube. The barrel came with a brazed on scope mount. Does not appear to have a sight on the muzzle end of the barrel, so I am curious what type of optics I should be looking for? Have bird hunted for over 40 years and am used to mounting a gun and shooting, without really thinking about it. Will a properly adjusted red dot or illuminated reticle sight work, with just a rear mount on the barrel, just ahead of the action?

Like the idea of tritium sights for dark conditions, but think this would require a visit to the gunsmith to have a front sight drilled and installed?

I don’t think there is a single place in my house where the shot would need to be longer than 10-12 yards, and plan to load #00 buckshot.

Will post pics of the build, once all the components show up. Anything else I need? Have heard the extractor should be upgraded.

Thanks,

Todd

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Optics for a scope mount

Post by Germansheperd » Thu May 07, 2020 2:08 pm

The absolute best sight on a HD shotgun is a front bead only. You want to get on target fast. Red dots, ramp, ghost wing etc are NA on a HD weapon. If your going for show or a conversation piece sure load it up but its useless.

t-bro

Post by t-bro » Thu May 07, 2020 4:23 pm

That is good to hear. The only thing I have ever aimed a shotgun at was a turkey and that was not successful until the third shot, when it started to fly and I swung the gun and dropped the bird.

Was just curious if having a pistol grip and an adjustable stock would change the sight picture enough to need a different type of sight?

Have not received the barrel yet, but it looks like it has the scope mount and no front bead. guess it will need to go to a gunsmith to mount a front bead and maybe remove the scope mount? At 10-12 yards with #00 buckshot, I imagine the pattern is going to put a knockdown amount of pellets down range regardless of aiming. Will spend some time at patterning board to figure this out.

Thanks,

Todd

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:06 pm

The first question you have to ask yourself is; what is the mission of your shotgun, Hunting, Defense etc? Once you have made that determination, you can make an informed decision. My bird hunting guns have beads but my defense weapons have red dots.

Just my dose Centavos,

Roc

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:33 pm

I think youre describing the 20" barrel with integral scope mount made by Remington, that mount is factory silver brazed on. You should be able to mount any optic on it, including red dot.
Rom