Rust Problems

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
ryoung
New Shotgunner

Rust Problems

Post by ryoung » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I am having incredible difficulty keeping my 870s from rusting. I literally have to clean them every other day and when they still get a lot of surface rust even after a day! I do not understand this and was wondering if anyone knew something I could try to prevent them from rusting. I changed my cleaning product I was previously using rem oil which is a cheaper cleaner and im hoping that is the problem. I am not sure what to do. I am currently living in an apartment and all my guns are stored in my cabinet at my parents house except for my 2 870s which i keep here. So instead of just keeping them in the back of the closet i just bought a new gun safe (both for safe keeping and in hopes that it may help prevent some rust and keep the guns out of open air). I do not know much about what kinds of things to do to stop the rust but i cannot keep cleaning my guns every other day. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Re: Rust Problems

Post by RichNZ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:26 am

Are you wiping a thin film of oil over your gun before putting away? If it's STILL rusting, I'd look at changing my oil asap. Quite a few good ones out there, and you don't have to spend a fortune on the brand new micro-whatever technology oils either. You don't need to get the gun dripping, just wiping a sheen onto the metal is enough.

Next is how damp is your place? Maybe look at buying a dehumidifier if your apartment's really moist. I've got a vial of silica crystals in my cabinet - when they change colour, it means they're full of water. 45secs in the microwave and they're dried out. Probably need to do that every 1-2 months. I know other guys that have wired in a 10W bulb into their cabinet and run it 24/7. The heat is enough to keep the moisture off the guns.

Oh, and remember that Rust Prevention is only one part of what you want. Cleaning and Lubrication are the other two. You can always buy different products to cover all bases.

Google 'gun oil rust tests' and you'll find some interesting forum experiments, pitting oils against each other. EEZOX, or BreakFree CLP seem to be the popular brands at the moment that are good at keeping rust away.

I use Ballistol - Sure, it's WW1 technology, but I like that you can use it on wood, leather, and is non-toxic. And i know it isn't going to take my DIY rust-bluing off my gun like some of the new rust-eating solvents will.

Keen to hear what oil you're using that could let a gun rust in 48hrs :) Good luck!

ryoung
New Shotgunner

Post by ryoung » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks for the advice i am lookin into getting a dehumifier for my cabinet. Also i used a product from break free that is suppose to stop rust. I hope it works and initially the guns look great. I think me not leaving a thin film of oil on my guns was also an issue i was wiping the oil conpletely off. I will try these things an hope they work. I am guessing they will. Thanks!

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:36 am

Where do you live? Where is your storage area in relation to high humidity areas (like a bathroom)? Some areas, like along the gulf coast, are more humid and require additional measures. A coat of rem oil should be fine, but if you live in a humid location it may not be enough. Also, if your closet is next to your shower, like many apartment closets are, that increases your humidity. Like RichNZ suggested, get a de-humidifying accessory for your new gun cabinet- that and a good cleaning, followed by a thin coat of oil (Rem Oil will be just fine) should keep your 870s free from rust. Google "gun safe dehumidifier" and you'll see options from Remington and other companies...mine happens to be available on the NRA online store, and when it needs drying, I plug it into an outlet overnight.

Good luck!

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30 am

Do you keep them in a gun sock? Gun socks are silicone treated socks that you slip over the whole gun to keep moisture and dirt away. Cheap easy option to add more rust protection, even in a safe.

Good oil recommendations Rich, I think I may try out Ballisto myself never used that and I just got a Colt Python and I was worried about oil/solvent damage to its wood grip.
The tactical psychologist.

EZTundra77
New Shotgunner

Post by EZTundra77 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am

I have heard that one particular 870 finish is the most prone to rust. I am about to buy one for tactical/home defense. As I understand it, they come in the following finishes: Matte Black. Blasted Oxide. Blued, or stainless (marine). I dont wanna shell out the dough for the stainless. Is there a diff between the matte black and the blasted oxide?

Thanks