Chrome wingmaster and nickel marine parts smoother operating than blued police and blued express parts?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Chrome wingmaster and nickel marine parts smoother operating than blued police and blued express parts?

Post by alpha15 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Are the chrome wingmaster bolts and slides and the nickel marine bolts and slides smoother operating than the blued police and blued express models? What about the marine trigger group components?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Chrome wingmaster and nickel marine parts smoother operating than blued police and blued express parts?

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 am

My 870 came with an oxide-finished bolt, and I switched it out with a chromed Wingmaster bolt some years ago because I found the chromed bolt for super cheap, and thought it looked cooler than the black bolt. I just now pulled the original bolt out to try and compare it to the chromed one. There wasn't really any difference in the effort required to cycle the gun with each bolt, from what I could tell. Maybe if I had an exact copy of my gun in the exact same condition, and I could really try each bolt side-by-side without taking 20 seconds to swap between them, I might have been able to notice a tiny difference, but it wouldn't have been anything worth talking about. Most of the friction in an 870 action comes from the action bars sliding against the receiver and the shell latches, and from the hammer & carrier dog rubbing against the slide assembly. The bolt itself practically floats inside the receiver when it's not locked into the barrel.

As I said, I use the chrome bolt mostly because I like the way it looks. I think it cleans up a tad easier too, but not by any huge margin.

alpha15
Valued Shotgunner

Re: Chrome wingmaster and nickel marine parts smoother operating than blued police and blued express parts?

Post by alpha15 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 am

Synchronizor wrote:My 870 came with an oxide-finished bolt, and I switched it out with a chromed Wingmaster bolt some years ago because I found the chromed bolt for super cheap, and thought it looked cooler than the black bolt. I just now pulled the original bolt out to try and compare it to the chromed one. There wasn't really any difference in the effort required to cycle the gun with each bolt, from what I could tell. Maybe if I had an exact copy of my gun in the exact same condition, and I could really try each bolt side-by-side without taking 20 seconds to swap between them, I might have been able to notice a tiny difference, but it wouldn't have been anything worth talking about. Most of the friction in an 870 action comes from the action bars sliding against the receiver and the shell latches, and from the hammer & carrier dog rubbing against the slide assembly. The bolt itself practically floats inside the receiver when it's not locked into the barrel.

As I said, I use the chrome bolt mostly because I like the way it looks. I think it cleans up a tad easier too, but not by any huge margin.
I didn't think there'd be a difference. Some one was trying to tell me there would be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I have both and my Express was as smooth as the Wingmaster from the start but ejection was always week on the Express compared to the Wingmaster .