Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Remington 870 Tactical HD build

Post by Jbur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 pm

Finally got to put a few rounds through it after installing the Magpul stock. Feels amazing. Definitely helps reduce recoil and way more comfortable to hold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Magpul SGA stock, M-lok forend, ms3 sling, Wilson combat follower/spring, vangcomp safety, volquartsen extractor, heavy carrier spring, Nordic barrel clamp.

jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jbur88 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 pm

So i'll have my wilson combat follower and spring tomorrow. I Also decided to order another Magpul stock. I posted about it in another thread but my Magpul stock didnt line up to the receiver the way i'd like so i'm going to see if a new one will be better. Besides that, the wife has told me to wait until after Christmas to mess with the gun anymore. I would like to get the matching Magpul forend and a WML at some point in the not to distant future though.
Rem 870 Tactical w/ Magpul stock, Forend, MS3 Sling and sling mount/Wilson Combat follower and spring/Vancomp big dome safety/Volquartsen Exact edge extractor/Heavy carrier spring/Elzetta Mount/ Streamlight polytac/Mesa Tactical poly Side saddle.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:04 am

Got the new spring and follower in. Seems to be a little stiffer. The follower looks a lot better. ImageImage

Magpul SGA stock, M-lok forend, ms3 sling, Wilson combat follower/spring, vangcomp safety, volquartsen extractor, heavy carrier spring, Nordic barrel clamp.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Decided to order a few small things today. Got the stiffer carrier spring, the exact edge extractor and the Vang comp big dome safety.

Jbur
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jbur » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:34 am

Got a few parts installed today. Vang comp big dome safety, volquartsen extractor and the stiffer carrier spring. Watched some YouTube videos and I was able to get everything installed in about 20 minutes. The safety is amazing. It seems much more natural disengaging the safety now. I was also really surprised at how much stiffer the carrier spring was. Over all for about $40 worth of parts, I'm very pleased. Next to will be the Magpul forend and I'm going to do a different choke tube.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner

Post by TexasArmor84 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Nice looks good. When you get that new forend consider adding a mlock rail and add a light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Not a huge fan of the big safety button, but I like choices and the ability of everyone being able to setup their gear to their liking. Long as you're happy with it is all that matters.

I will say that the Volquartsen extractor looks fantastic and I didn't even know they made one for the 870. Remington should be ashamed letting their extractor even near the assembly room floor. Let alone putting it in a gun. :x

My only experience with Volquartsen has been with an extractor for an old P22.

The factory extractor would pull out fired cases out of the chamber fine upon cycling, but would never pull out an unfired (live) round. That was always undesirable to me, and after I put the Volq extractor in it, works perfectly and correctly no matter what condition it is in. They make good stuff. I think you will be very satisfied with your part.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

jbur88
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jbur88 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 pm

That's awesome to hear. It definitely appears like a quality part, especially when compared to the stock extractor. I wont have a chance to test fire until this weekend but i cycled some rounds through it and it worked great.
Rem 870 Tactical w/ Magpul stock, Forend, MS3 Sling and sling mount/Wilson Combat follower and spring/Vancomp big dome safety/Volquartsen Exact edge extractor/Heavy carrier spring/Elzetta Mount/ Streamlight polytac/Mesa Tactical poly Side saddle.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:11 am

John A. wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 pm
The factory extractor would pull out fired cases out of the chamber fine upon cycling, but would never pull out an unfired (live) round.
That's odd. In my experience, when an extractor slips off a shell rim, it's always been after the round is fired (especially right after, when the action is being worked so quickly that the cartridge is still a bit "puffed-up" from the pressure of firing when extraction begins). Did you check your extractor spring and plunger, and the passage in the bolt that they sit in before you tried replacing the extractor? Sounds like a weak spring or sticky plunger could have at least contributed to that issue.

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:52 pm

It was the extractor. The Volquartsen is simply better made and the angle of the hook is more precise.

And in all fairness, after raising 3 boys, it's really hard to say just how many rounds has been sent to their doom with that little pistol.

I admit that I recently switched to a Galloway Precision captive recoil spring and guide rod, and a set of Taylor Tactical magazine spring and follower upgrade in it too.

Neither really makes the gun shoot any better than it did before :lol: but does make it a little more fun to shoot and easier to clean. In all honesty, the recoil spring probably was due to be changed and the mag springs were a definite improvement.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.