The Miss-Me Bead

Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

The Miss-Me Bead

Post by Randomguns » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:38 pm

You can't help seeing it, but don't look at it.

Why It's There

Our eyes can only focus at one distance at a time. Rifle and pistol shooters know that to hit with iron sights, they have to let the rear sight and the target blur while they keep the front sight in sharp focus. Try that with a shotgun-as many people do-and you'll miss. Here's why "drawing a bead" on a target is the worst way to shoot a shotgun: As long as you're looking at the target, your eyes guide your hands, which in turn direct the barrel to the right place. As soon as you glance back at the barrel to measure your lead or check your "aim," your eyes stop feeding your hands the data needed, and the gun stops dead.

To hit with a shotgun, you must keep your eye on the target while the barrel of the gun registers as a blurred smudge in your peripheral vision. That's where the bead comes in. Don't think of it as a sight; it's more like the red handkerchief you tie on a long 2x4 sticking out of the bed of your truck. It serves as a reference, as a flag or marker, so you're aware of the muzzle as you bear down on the target. You should never carefully measure leads, but the front bead can help you see in an instant when you've got the right gap between barrel and bird.
Don't remember where I got this, but it's the truth, and I only share the truth. :lol:
This Space For Rent

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: The Miss-Me Bead

Post by Hntbambi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 am

Very good advise! Your eyes should be down range locked on the target.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Thank you for the good advice!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

SharksFan
Shotgunner

Post by SharksFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Very solid information that most of us overlook.

antares

Post by antares » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 am

For those who are new to clays, An instructor may place a cardboard 'blinder' behind the bead of the gun to force the shooter to look only at the target. Removing the bead is a more drastic solution.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Almost exactly what my shooting coach said back about 20years ago. Along with "Every shot you miss behind the target, i'm going to hit you across the back of the legs with this stick!".

He took the bead off my competition O/U Beretta when I got her. I never saw the need to put it back on!

Rich56
Shotgunner

Re: The Miss-Me Bead Need Advice

Post by Rich56 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:43 pm

I’m assembling one 870 for trap. If I like the game enough I’m buying another. Question is should I not even bother to buy a barrel with a middle bead? I thought
AS REFERENCE ONLY, one bead should be on top of another to check head position. If I buy a gun with middle bead should I remove it?

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Most/many trap shotguns have both beads, to aid in alignment but not for aiming. Both beads should sit one-atop of the other, and the barrel should be below that.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!