tactical vs police version

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
acasto

tactical vs police version

Post by acasto » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:39 pm

I just purchased my first 870. It's the tactical 7 shot version.
While looking at the top 10 upgrades for the 870, it mentions the extractor. MIM and non MIM.
Article says the police version utilizes a non mim, due to it's reliability.
My question, is the tactical version the same as the police version?
Remington's site does not mention a police version, only a tactical.

Thanks, and this is a cool website. Glad I found it.

Tony

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: tactical vs police version

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Express Tacticals are mechanically the same as other Expresses, they're just set up for combat/defensive applications, and in recent years, some have switched to the special single-piece 6-round magazine tubes. They will come with a MIM extractor. I wouldn't be too worried about this unless you're having extraction problems though, the MIM parts work fine. They're only unreliable if they're defective, which actually seems to happen less often than with the machined extractors. The extractor also often gets blamed for malfunctions that aren't its fault, so keep that in mind whenever someone tries to explain why you need to "upgrade".

For more information about Police vs Express Tacticals, see this post.

acasto

Post by acasto » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reply and link. Very helpful.

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:00 pm

I offer a package in my store that offers some of the Police model parts so you can upgrade your Express. I include the Non-MIM extractor because that's what my customers asked for. I've personally never had an issue with an Express extractor, but since people ask for it, it's in the package.

Two parts that I DO feel are superior on the Police model are the carrier dog spring and the heavy Police Sear Spring. I feel the carrier dog spring upgrade should be done on EVERY 870. For HD purposes, I like the triggers to have a heavier pull, just in the hope that a heavier pull may prevent an accidental discharge.
Last edited by UltimateGuns on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:04 pm

UltimateGuns wrote:Two parts that I DO feel are superior on the Police model are the carrier dog spring and the heavy Police Sear. I feel the carrier dog spring upgrade should be done on EVERY 870. For HD purposes, I like the triggers to have a heavier pull, just in the hope that a heavier pull may prevent an accidental discharge.
Just to head off any confusion, It's a heavier sear spring that increases the trigger pull, Police 870s use the same sear as other 870s. I do agree that a heavy sear spring can be nice on a close-range defensive shotgun. The last thing you want to do is give yourself away or blow off your foot because you had a nervous twitch under stress.

shotgun
Shotgunner

Post by shotgun » Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 pm

The magazine spring in my 870 express tactical was very weak and a lot shorter than the wolff spring I changed in my shotgun I also got a stainless steel magazine fowler. A magpull front grip and stock one point slings are good for shotguns. I like the trigger pull just the way it is keep your finger off it till you are ready to shoot. Upgrade it just like YOU WANT IT!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu May 19, 2016 5:47 am

shotgun wrote:The magazine spring in my 870 express tactical was very weak and a lot shorter than the wolff spring I changed in my shotgun
Keep in mind that a magazine spring that's too stiff can deform shells stored in the tube, leading to jams when you need to use the gun. A stiffer spring will also shorten the life of the magazine follower, and if you're running a steel follower, it can encourage peening at the receiver end of the magazine.

kamakaz1961
New Shotgunner

Post by kamakaz1961 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:34 pm

I have been reading this and I wish I would have read all the comments on this post before I started one. I have the 870 Express Tactical 7-Round and love it! I too am doing some modifications to make it more "Police Type" LOL! I replaced the MIM extractor that came with my 870. 1st off, I have never had an issue with that extractor and worked fine and did what it was supposed too. I am using it as my spare and I used the Volquartsen Steel Extractor. It is beefier and it appears stronger than the MIM. I do know there is a big difference in terms of extraction of a used shell when racking the slide. I figure for under $25 you have a great upgrade.

The 2nd is I got the Brownells Big Speedy Safety. You will not forget if the safety is on or off. This IMO is a better replacement than the MIM Extractor.

The 3rd is the Carrier Latch Spring (or Dog Spring). This is the Police version (Part # F16966). A big difference too. As for the trigger Spring, I will stick to the stock as it is fine for me.

I hope this helps you as I have the same Model 870 as you do.

The problem I am having (and probably the OP) is the follower (I think I have the follower solved) and spring. I am looking at an aluminum or stainless steel magazine follower and have found a few that has the grooves so you can slide it down the tube with no issues because of the 2-dimples in the 870 Express Tacticals or new 870's. I am not looking to have an extension. The Magazine spring is where I am having my issue.

I want to make sure the spring will fit the 6 Round tube. Do I go with a Wolf Spring, Scattergun Tech or Remington. If so what spring as I want to make sure it is the right spring for the 6-Round (7 total) Remington 870 Tactical Express.

I posted the magazine spring question in a different area. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks again
CJ

hector.jacob
Shotgunner

Post by hector.jacob » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... ss+upgrade

that's a good thread to read... post #9 :!: