My Home Defense Build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

My Home Defense Build

Post by Hntbambi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:08 am

This 870 was just a plain jane Wingmaster with a 28” plain modified choke barrel and a walnut stock/forend. My father purchased it back in 1960 and we both used it for 44 years of hunting and getting our feet wet in trap shooting. I inherited the gun in 2004 and it’s been sitting ever since.

Stocks
The stock was too short for me to use, so I hacked it down to just a pistol grip. I used a ¼” deep well socket that was epoxied into the grip as a pillar for the stock bolt. I used the same Devcon plastic steel epoxy I use for bedding rifle in their stocks and it worked rather well.

Barrel
I wanted a short barrel, so I looked in my box of stuff and remembered I have a 26” improved cylinder barrel with vent rib just rusting away. I took out the tape measure and measured to the nearest rib pillar past 18”. This made my barrel a little under 19”. That is fine for me. In the USA the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 18” and a minimum overall length is 26” without going through a long wait and a $200 “mother may I” with the ATF. I grabbed the hacksaw and went at it. I used a file to square up the cut a little and deburred the I.D. and O.D. I measured the barrel O.D. and it is 0.835”. I wanted to install Rem-Choke choke tubes to make the gun a little more versatile, but the minimum O.D. is .844” so I searched a little and found Tru-Choke is .020” smaller diameter than the Rem-Choke, so a call to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge and I ordered a reamer and tap for the Tru-Choke tooling. Now the month or so waiting begins. I cleaned up the I.D. of the barrel with a heavy duty bronze brush and patches and decided to give it a longer forcing cone. I had a reamer in my toolbox so I figured it is time to put it to some use. I gave it a coating of cutting oil and started cutting steel. Once it was reamed, I used a hone to clean up the tooling marks.

Other cool stuff
I browsed the Brownell’s Catalog and decided to get a few tacticool parts for my scattergun. I bought the Advanced Technology +3 shot mag extender, a shorter stainless steel follower, Scattergun Technology jumbo head safety, the Nordic Components Mag support clamp with side rail, and a Vikings Tactics light mount. This should keep me busy for an hour or so installing these parts. The ambidextrous, quick-detach push-button swivel was not in stock, so it will wait till next order. I placed an order with S&J for one of their velcro ammo saddles. Ya can't be cool unless ammo is hanging off the gun! :ugeek:

Once the barrel has the choke tubes, I will blast the exterior and give it a new finish of GunKote. I will add to this thread as I do things.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: My Home Defense Build

Post by Vitaly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Hntbambi, nice setup for a home defense. Is it comfortable to shoot it without stock?

I like the metal trigger group, now it costs about $100 on Brownells.

Share some photos with us when you finish building it.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

EZTundra77
New Shotgunner

Post by EZTundra77 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Looks like a fun project. Looks like the gun Denzel used in "The Book of Eli"

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Hntbambi, any news about your Remington 870 project? :)
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

SSSTANG
New Shotgunner

Post by SSSTANG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Any new pictures?