How to reload?

Shotgun Ammunition Reloading.
RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

How to reload?

Post by RandyWag » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 am

Would anyone care to start a thread on reloading? Its too easy to google things but if i used google all the time i wouldnt need to be a member of Rem870. Since this forum is pretty new i just thought i would bring it up. Thanks guys!!
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Re: How to reload?

Post by RichNZ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:12 am

Been looking into this a bit myself - could be worth it for the more expensive rounds over here - Buckshot, solids, .410 etc.

Am pretty interested in getting a 00Buck mold. Got some lead for making .38-40 projectiles already. Damn useful to have mates that are plumbers and builders who can keep you supplied with free old lead :)

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 am

I have a Mec 9000G reloader for 12 ga. I reloaded when I shot trap competitively. If you figure in your time, reloading is not real cost effective for target loads. I was buying shot by the ton, wads by the case (5k), primers by the sleave (5k), and powder by the 25# keg. Check out this reloading calculator. http://www.trapshooters.com/reloadcalc.htm

If you shoot 28 ga and 410 bore you can save some cash reloading.

One of the nice things about reloading is you can taylor the load to your goals, more accuracy, higher speed, reduced recoil, lighter or heavier payload, non-toxic/lead, etc. You control the load. Also, liability is transferred to the handloader. If you reload and hurt your gun/self/etc, you can only blame yourself, not the components, gun, or reloading machine.

Lyman has some good slug loading data in their manuals.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

I plan to start with Lee Load All press, it is inexpensive and easy to use.

Hntbambi, it is nice to meet experienced person. How much time does reloading take? How many shells do you usually reload in one hour?
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 pm

It all depends on the press and the operator. With a single stage press, like the Lee LA II, you are looking at 30 seconds to one minute shell per minute once you get the hang of things. If you can find a good deal on a Mec 600 Jr, you are leaps ahead of the Lee. They will last decades, I don't see the Lee doing that unless it sits in a box. Also get a powder scale to verify the charges. Don't assume anything, and always verify. You can turn out decent ammo on the Lee, it is just slow and with a lot of plastic parts, durability is not its strong point.

The Mec 600 and 700 are single stage presses that will get you about 15 seconds per shell if you have a primer feed.

The Mec 650 and Grabber are progressive machines that the reloader manually indexes. They can do multiple operations at once so they are a tad faster.

The Mec 9000G is a self indexing progressive press. I can knock out 100 rounds in 10 minutes.

You can advance to hydraulic or electric drives to operate the press. All you have to do is add hulls and wads, and keep an eye on the powder/shot tubes so you don't run dry.

Just like cars or guns, the faster you want to go, the higher the price.

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:41 pm

WOW alot more time and product then i realized. Maybe reloading is not for me haha

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Depends how much you were doing I spose. I'd only be loading the expensive rounds, so seems like i'd recoup my money pretty quick. For ordinary stuff you can buy cheap in bulk... probably not worth it by the look of it?

Mec 600 Jr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQtz4JFNyw

Looks good! Thanks Hntbambi, some good tips there.

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:01 am

Its cool. but the whole Time consuming thing isnt for me. being in the military kinda sucks for having family time, I would love to get my hands dirty and reload some custom rounds but no time.

mcron

Post by mcron » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:32 am

I know, a little late to the party.

When I started shooting 3 Gun, it got expensive fast shooting slugs. So, I bought a Lee slug mould and started casting and loading my own. Then I got into tailoring my own #6 shot loads to hit the steel good with less recoil. With 2 boys now starting, those same #6 loads enable them to shoot as even the light #7.5 loads are too heavy for them.

With slugs running $1 each, I made up my initial investment half way through the first season..

-Mark

mechdesigner2

Post by mechdesigner2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 pm

I look forward to more detailed articles, info on different re-loaders, and experiences in the future.