Parkerized Mag Extensions

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
jough
Shotgunner

Re: Parkerized Mag Extensions

Post by jough » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 am

Synchronizer,

Thanks for the information. Brownell's has the Vang +2 extension, spring and their SS follower on sale for $60. Is it blue or Parkerized? I could not determine finish from the web searches I did. Anyway, I ordered it.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shot ... 23983.aspx

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:13 am

It is Parkerized
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

jough
Shotgunner

Post by jough » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:50 am

Ok, I got the Vang +2 extension installed after removing the Rem factory +2 extension.
On the Vang, the sling bracket has lots of rotational slop. I want to keep it, but remove the slop.
Does anyone have a good idea for tightening up the Vang bracket?

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:19 pm

replace it with a taller sling bracket. All Remingtons do not have the same dia barrels nor do all have the same barrel to magazine center dimensions where the front support ring is. Bead sight barrels need the taller mount, while Police barrels need the shorter mount. Most if not all after market manufacturers make their sling mount to fit all of them. You must have a standard bead sight barrel, which needs a taller bracket. Remington even make two different magazine clamps to allow for this.

I didn't like the movement on mine either, so I made one for mine. This picture is of my 14 inch barrel rifle sight barrel, I also made a new mount for it. I've never made any pictures of the taller sling mount on the 18.00 barreled gun. I never knew there where different center differences until I machined a couple of HK style sling mount for my 870s and they would not interchange between two of my guns. I have a couple of extra "tall" sling mounts that fit the Vang extensions, but they are for HK style hooks.

Last edited by Banshee on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

jough
Shotgunner

Post by jough » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:58 pm

I have the Wilson/XS ghost ring sight set-up on my 870P.
That is a very nice looking bracket you made!
I would be happy with a plain slot for the sling at either left side or down.
Where might I find a taller mount?

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:37 pm

No clue on were to find a taller one. I don't if any other sling mounts will fit on the VANG extension. That is why I made mine. You might call and talk to Mr Vang and ask him about it.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Did you ever find a sling mount?
How much too loose is the mount that came with the extension?

jough
Shotgunner

Post by jough » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 pm

No, I never did find another. I'm still using the one that came with the Vang extension.
It appears that the radius of the sling mount cut-out for the barrel is about 1/16" larger than the barrel itself.
I did contact Vang and they said it was supposed to be like that. :?

Due to my light location (left side Elzetta), I'd prefer a bottom front sling attachment.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 pm

I made a side mount I was going to sent to you. Can you measure the distance between the bottom of the barrel and the top of the vang tube where the sling mount fits? Or measure the distance between the top of the magazine tube and the bottom of the barrel just in front of the front support ring?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue May 19, 2015 9:17 am

I know this is an old thread, but for the benefit of future readers, Vang Comp extensions are not Parkerized, they have a black oxide finish much like what you find on most 870 Express models.