Resources for Remington Owners - 870 Tips & Tricks #10

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Resources for Remington Owners - 870 Tips & Tricks #10

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 am

New video online: Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #10 - Resources for Remington Owners
[attachment=0]TT10_Thumbnail_01_A_C_B.JPG[/attachment]

This month's video covers three informational resources that I believe every Remington owner should be aware of.

The Owner's Manual should be a no-brainer, but I see a lot of people asking questions that are answered in the manual, so it obviously should be read more than it is. There are also a lot of tidbits in there that are easy to miss if you skim through it really quickly. It's worth a thorough read, and it's a useful reference even for experienced owners. I keep it on my Kindle and pull it up surprisingly frequently. Download it here.

Remington's Parts Price List is an extremely useful resource that way too few people know about. I pull this out multiple times a day to answer questions here and elsewhere, and to research things for my own projects. This is an excellent source of information on 870 parts and variants, and if Remington can ship to your location, it's usually the best way to obtain factory parts. Here's the download link.

Online Communities are something you've probably already figured out if you're reading this; but if you're lurking, or fresh off a Google search, please don't be shy if you have questions, or you just want to connect and discuss things.

This video was supposed to be finished and uploaded last week, but I hit delays at pretty much every point during its production. I'm still counting this as my January video though. My goal this year is to release at least one video per month. I may not be able to stick with that plan, but I'm not giving up on it quite yet.

As usual, any feedback is welcomed, and I'll be happy to answer questions.
Attachments
TT10_Thumbnail_01_A_C_B.JPG
Click for video
TT10_Thumbnail_01_A_C_B.JPG (55.17 KiB) Viewed 5344 times

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Resources for Remington Owners - 870 Tips & Tricks #10

Post by Zebra62 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:18 pm

Mondo cool, Synchronizer. Lots of great information as usual.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Sync, very good video, as always!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey Synchro...You wouldn't happen to have a legend or something to help with all the barrel codes on the parts list do you or a link to find a legend? Might be good information to have at hand.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:07 am

I'm not aware of any official legend, I think Remington just makes things up as they go. Here's a list of abbreviations I'm pretty sure about. Let me know if I missed anything, or if you want help deciphering something that isn't listed here.

BS - bead sight
CANT - cantilever scope mount
CYL - Cylinder choke
EXP - Express
FSO - front sight only
FR - fully-rifled
GR - Ghost Ring
IC - Improved Cylinder choke
LC - light contour
LH - left-hand
MCS - Modular Combat Shotgun (barrels built for 870s with special 3-round mag tubes)
MO - Mossy Oak
MOD - Modified choke
N/S - new style
PK or PARK - Parkerized
RC - Rem Choke
RS - rifle sights
SP - special purpose
TG - Truglo sights
VT - vent rib
XCS - Xtreme (facepalm) Conditions Shotgun; TriNyte finish