Need help removing 2 shot extension

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
mosier

Need help removing 2 shot extension

Post by mosier » Sat May 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Hey all, this is my first post. I briefly checked the search feature in hopes of finding my answer as I have not been on this site before. But I'm a little impatient (SORRY!) and decided to post this question. I'm sorry if it's a repost or if it's in the wrong place. My fiancé bought me a remington 870 a couple years back for Valentine's day. It had the 18.5" barrel synthetic stock. I have since added a wood stock and fore grip to it, removed the 18" barrel just the other day and put on my new 21" barrel in hopes of hunting with it now. I am wanting to remove the 2 shot extension that came on it to get it back to standard length tube. I have a mag cap with sling swivel already (because i bought sling swivel kit a while back to install the rear stud in the stock.) i know i need more things such as the standard spring and a spring retainer. Is there anywhere i can get the things necessary in a kit of some kind? or any advice on what brands of these items to buy or exactly what i need?? Just trying to get the rest of this stuff in one order if possible. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Need help removing 2 shot extension

Post by Synchronizor » Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 pm

If you have the magazine cap, all you should really need now is the shorter spring. If you want to have something between the end of the magazine spring and the cap, I would suggest using a magazine follower instead of one of those old-style press-in spring retainers. They're a real pain if you want to switch between different magazine configurations. See this video for information on that.

You can order any of these parts directly from Remington's customer service department. Instructions for ordering are in your owner's manual, and details on where to find parts information are in this thread.

mosier

Post by mosier » Sun May 11, 2014 12:06 am

Awesome! Thanks for the help!!! I will definitely take more time to look through the forums from now on. Sometimes I just get too anxious lol. Thanks again!

*edit* Do I really need the magazine follower or a spring retainer? obviously the mag follower needs to be there for it's intended purpose. but why the retainer or a mag follower in it's place? Just wondering what is different about having the cap rather than the extension that calls for needing a retainer. Here is a pic of the inside of my swivel cap if that helps?

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:37 pm

you will need a magazine follower to keep the spring from coming past the shell stop. The spring retainer well I have seen guns with out it and I have seen springs get loose when the cap was un screwed. Its like the old peanut can joke , when you open it a spring like snake takes off. The spring could injury someone if they were not expecting it.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:07 am

mosier wrote:Do I really need the magazine follower or a spring retainer? obviously the mag follower needs to be there for it's intended purpose. but why the retainer or a mag follower in it's place? Just wondering what is different about having the cap rather than the extension that calls for needing a retainer. Here is a pic of the inside of my swivel cap if that helps?
The difference is that your magazine cap has the "teeth" inside that are intended to mate with a new-style internal-ratcheting spring retainer. There's a possibility that the end of your magazine spring could hang up on those, which could damage the spring or otherwise affect feeding. Placing a plastic magazine follower or a spring retainer over the end of the spring will prevent this from happening. Magazine extensions and external-ratchet-only magazine caps have smooth surfaces that won't grab the spring, which is why they don't require a retainer or something similar.