Knives

Talk about everything not related to Remington 870
EdwardE
Experienced Shotgunner

Knives

Post by EdwardE » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 am

How about a knives thread. I've had an affinity for knives ever since my dad brought home a M6 bayonet from the Army and gave it to me (in spite of Mom's raised eyebrow) for my 10th birthday. I still have it after the chopping down of countless saplings, throwing it into the side of the barn to hone my throwing skills and prying apart nailed 2x4's to build a "fort" and who knows what else that poor blade suffered at the hands of a growing boy. Nowdays it rests itself in a box with many others.
Post your favorite blades, your EDC's or whatever you just like.

KUSA
New Shotgunner

Post by KUSA » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 pm

All you need to know about knives is make sure it's an Emerson. :mrgreen:

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Knives

Post by ponycarman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I've got a couple I'll have to take pics of. I've got a kabar usmc fighting knife that I love and my edc knife is a spiderco tenacious. Used to carry a sogzilla before that.

Short Bus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Short Bus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

I EDC a Sprint Run Spyderco Persistence

Before that was a Byrd (by Spyderco) Cara Cara II

My boy's EDC knife is a SOG Flash II (sorry, no pics)

EdwardE
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by EdwardE » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:33 am

Here are a few from left to right.

Buck 110. The 870 of the knife world. Been around for a long time and good at what they do. I put a thumb post on this one to facilitate one-hand opening. One of my EDC blades.

Hand-made Finnish pukko. A very stout little knife and very, very sharp. Blade is over 1/8" thick.

Camillus fixed blade marked USN. This belonged to my grandfather who was a Naval Avaitor in the Pacific during WW II, flying PBM Mariners. Somewhere I have a picture of him on some Pacific island with this knife on his side. His daughter (aka Mom) gave it to me a few years ago. He retired from the Navy in 1973 as Commander and passed away in 1993. He was the one who tought me how to shoot (among other things equally important). I still miss him.

M6 bayonet (tree-choppin, barn throwin, give me your worst, I can take it knife). Dull as a village idiot.

Gerber Combat Folder. My other EDC. This is the later version with the secondary lock.

Beltrame switchblade. Always wanted a switchblade. In my home state they are legal to own and carry with the provision you don't intend to hurt someone with it.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 am

Nice knives! I don't have much of a collection. Most are cheap knockoff pocket knives I've picked up at flea markets. They get dull and I would toss them in a container and get another lol.

Kabar usmc. No history behind it. It was a new knife.

I know nothing about this one really. Got it cheap because it looked neat. It says hand made in Pakistan on it. Don't really think there is anything special about it . I just thought it was neat.

This one was given to me by my dad. He said it was some kind of bone in the handle. It appears to be bone. I still like it.

My current edc. Spyderco tenacious. Probably the most sharp out of box I have had.

I don't really know much about knives. I would like to get more later on. But who knows what and when haha.

EdwardE
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by EdwardE » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:21 am

ponycarman, I like that K-Bar. Saw one during a recent trip to the local sporting goods store and was very tempted.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 pm

I grabbed two of them a couple years ago from a websight. Got them both less than half price because the boxes had be opened already. I kept this one and gave the other to a cousin that had just finished basic training in the army.

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:03 am

Some of mine:

EDC a Ken Onion Blur, Kershaw model.

LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

EdwardE
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by EdwardE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:05 am

That's quite a nice collection you have there, mercman and thanks for posting those. In the first picture, bottom right; do I spy a Gerber Mk II?