Sling or not for home defense?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Tango Hotel 57
New Shotgunner

Sling or not for home defense?

Post by Tango Hotel 57 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:14 am

Is there consensus on the value of a sling for home defense. I have read elsewhere that a sling is a good idea to keep from losing the weapon. A sling would also allow me to keep the weapon if it jams, while transitioning to a backup weapon. I'm leaning toward single-point system so that I could quickly move it out of my way if empty or jammed. Thanks in advance for any ideas or guidance.

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Re: Sling or not for home defense?

Post by badboybeeson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 pm

most people will tell you, no sling on a defensive shotgun, but thats mainly to do with lack of skill, and training.
a single point sling is not a sling, its a weapons retention device.
when things go wrong, like fallding down stairs, running around in the dark, or fighting hand to hand with the badguys, your sure goign to wish you had a sling.
But not just buy one and put it on the gun, of out and train with it.
bbb

Tango Hotel 57
New Shotgunner

Post by Tango Hotel 57 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 pm

bbb, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Plan for the worst-case, expect confusion, plan to re-gain focus, stay in the fight, fight to win. Train like you fight, fight like you train.
"The edge is still part of the (flying) envelope."
1979 Rem 870 Wingmaster 20"
Sig P229 .40cal
Sig P250 2Sum .40cal
CZ/FNH Pistole Modell 27 7.65mm
Ruger LC9 w/Crimson Trace Laser

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 pm

I think of the sling as my holster on a long gun.

Tango Hotel 57
New Shotgunner

Post by Tango Hotel 57 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks Blackrock, I'm leaning toward a tactical sling. It will take some practice, but if I have the time to put it on, then I need to know how to use it to quickly transition from it to a sidearm. I've done a little practicing on my own by watching videos, but I'm taking a shotgun class at Sig Arms Academy, so I hope to learn how to do it properly there.
Sig P229 .40cal
Sig P250 2Sum .40cal

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jpfrog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:50 pm

If you're asking about a sling for home defense, I have to ask about the average situation you're imagining will be the one you encounter. Most home invasion scenarios that involve firearms last a relatively short amount of time, so running dry or jamming and requiring you to transition to a backup such as a pistol is not a very likely scenario. More likely is that if you are not trained with a sling and try to use it, you'll get tangled in it. Truth is, if someone comes in, it'll happen fast and you likely won't want to take the time to utilize the sling the way it was intended. Instead, you'll likely grab the shotgun and shoulder and point it in the general direction of the threat while letting them know you have and intend to use your shotgun. The universal sound for get the f*** out of my house is, afterall, the racking of the action on a shotgun. Hopefully this will be all that's needed to end the home intrusion.

Now, if by home defense you mean that you are preparing for the zombies that are slowly walking down the street toward your house, then yes, throw that sling on. You can use it to retain your shotty while you take long range shots with your rifle, and as they get closer, ditch the rifle and go to the shotty, then to your backup pistol while you buy time and distance to reload the shotty. 8-)

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:20 am

Frog i must agree with you again. I have never had to shoot any home invaders but i have kicked alot of ass on the street, bar fights and so on. It happens fast the last think you want in your way is a sling to get tangled up in or waste time putting it on. I have slings but they are used to haul your weapon. Keep it simple.Lets face the facts home defence is not the same as a SWAT team training excercise.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

Tango Hotel 57
New Shotgunner

Post by Tango Hotel 57 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:44 pm

jpfrog and vMax, points very well-taken. I sure can't sleep with a sling on. Thanks for the inputs.

Aloha
Sig P229 .40cal
Sig P250 2Sum .40cal

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:19 pm

While I would not keep a sling on it at all times, I like having the QD pushbutton socket on the gun. You can add the sling quickly and easily and have hands free but still armed if the need and situation arises.

RandyWag
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RandyWag » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:00 am

everyone has a pretty valid point but its still going to come down to what the owner is comfortable with and what they feel makes them shoot better
If you break into my house, be quiet, or ill wake up and unload on you.