Range time/practice

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
dbailey195
New Shotgunner

Range time/practice

Post by dbailey195 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:50 am

Curious what folks are doing at the range when it comes to home defense tactics. Do you just sight in groups at yardage and ammo or do you practice different scenarios based on the layout of you're home (doors, hallways ect)? I know there isn't much you can do at an indoor range when just standing within a lane so the best option would be in an area where you can easily move and arrange targets. Thoughts?

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Range time/practice

Post by Vitaly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 am

There are a lot of different things you can do on the range. I don't know if shotgun is popular in IPSC in USA but here in Ukraine we have many shotgun competitions.

You know that IPSC is sport but during competitions you have different shooting positions, here's an examle:

You need to reload fast, you have targets on different distances, so it is really good to learn how to shoot faster and more accurately. There are some interesting stages where you need to open the door and then shoot the targets or take unloaded shotgun from the table, load it and shoot targets.

Another good thins is shooting timer because you can't measure your results yourself.

Here are some of the drills you can do on the range:
1. Time of the first shot – shooting timer shows how fast you make first shot. It is very important to shoot fast and accurately. Start with your shotgun at a waist level. Try to shoot as fast as possible.

2. Load four shells and make a first shot - this way you will see how fast you load 4 shells into your shotgun.

3. Load eight shells and make a first shot – shooting timer will show how fast you load eight shells.

4. Make two shots – shooting timer has special “split” time which shows how fast you do follow up shots.

What you can do without timer:
1. Fire transition, shoot one target and then shoot second target on some distance (I will make a video showing how to do that correct).
2. Shoot from different positions: sitting, standing, urban prone etc.
3. Load and shoot.

Hope this helps :)
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

dbailey195
New Shotgunner

Post by dbailey195 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks Vitaly for the reply and tips. I like the set-up in the pic with the wood frame, plastic mesh and window frame. A nice, economic way to build rooms and hallways. Plus the added safety benefit of see through walls.

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Reloading is an important skill in "competition " shooting. Jeff Cooper found that usually One hit with a shotgun will terminate the confrontation. N.Y.P.D. corroborates Cooper's work. (A hit constitutes 85% of the projectile's payload .)

Yes, reloading and malfunctions drills should be on the menu especially if you plan to miss a lot.

My advice learn to stop the threat quickly.

Black Rock

A.T.F. SHOULD BE A CONVIENCE STORE NOT A COVERNMENT ANGENCY.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am

Blackrock wrote:Reloading is an important skill in "competition " shooting. Jeff Cooper found that usually One hit with a shotgun will terminate the confrontation. N.Y.P.D. corroborates Cooper's work. (A hit constitutes 85% of the projectile's payload .)

Yes, reloading and malfunctions drills should be on the menu especially if you plan to miss a lot.

My advice learn to stop the threat quickly.

Black Rock

A.T.F. SHOULD BE A CONVIENCE STORE NOT A COVERNMENT ANGENCY.
I agree that it is important to stop the threat quickly. But when you use shotgun under adrenaline stress you can miss the target easily. I've seen this lots of times when shooters miss a target located very close to them.

Here are links to the interview with Peyton Quinn, which teaches students to shoot under adrenaline stress:
http://www.rem870.com/2011/12/01/interv ... ng-part-1/
http://www.rem870.com/2011/12/03/interv ... ng-part-2/
http://www.rem870.com/2011/12/05/interv ... ng-part-3/
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:54 am

Learning to manipulate, load and shoot under stress is always great practice. Learning to do this while taking & returning fire will also up the pucker factor exponentially!! Unfortunately, I speak from personal experience. Nothing can take the place of regimented, correctly performed practice, both dry & live fire drills. I practice dry fire drills with dummy rounds quite often...approximately 4 times a week. I practice in both daytime & nighttime hours as well. A shotgun is an awesome defensive weapon that can certainly save your life, as well as your loved ones if applied swiftly & accurately! Remember, you can't miss fast enough in a gunfight! Practice until your really proficient...then practice some more!!!