Posting pics on the forum

Do you have any questions or suggestions?
Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Posting pics on the forum

Post by Bastard File » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 am

Give me the idiots instructions if possible? Thanks for assisting the technologically challenged!!:-)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Posting pics on the forum

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 am

You can insert images hosted elsewhere on the web by enclosing the image URL inside Img BBCode tags:

Code: Select all

[img]www.example_image_url.jpg[/img]
You can also upload images that are of a compatible file format (.jpg, .gif, or .png are examples; .jpg files are usually the best choice for photos) directly from your computer using the "Attachments" tab directly underneath the text editing field. Click the "Add Files" button, browse to the file's location on your computer and select it, then click "Open" to start uploading it. Files can be selected & uploaded one at a time, or in multiples by holding down the Shift or Ctrl keys. You can optionally enter a comment for each image in the attachments pane once the files are done uploading. To place the images in your post, click the "Place inline" button next to the file you want to use to insert it at the text cursor's location. Any attached images that aren't placed in this way will be added to the end of your post by default. Previewing your post before submitting it is recommended to help make sure you have things arranged the way you like.

Be aware that inserting or linking to a very high-resolution image such as a raw multi-megapixel file from a digital camera or a big .png bitmap will make the page take awhile to load, especially for users with slower connections, and can really chew through bandwidth for folks using mobile devices, or those whose ISPs charge based on data usage. Threads with lots of large image files may also cause browsers to crash on older machines. You can avoid this by cropping and/or shrinking the image before you upload it (very simple with a basic image editing program like Microsoft Paint). Converting an uncompressed image to a more space-efficient format like a .jpg will also help a great deal.

Another option is to host the larger photo on a separate web service, and insert a smaller thumbnail version into your post, coding it as a hyperlink to the larger image by placing URL tags around the Img tags (more advanced, but will allow others to see the high-resolution image without impacting site performance or making your post difficult to read):

Code: Select all

[url=www.full_image_url.jpg][img]www.thumbnail_image_url.jpg[/img][/url]

Rabbit
New Shotgunner

Post by Rabbit » Sat May 17, 2014 1:24 am

Well, if I said my computer skills were low, I would be bragging.
I added my pictures to my Photobucket account, then I copied the link to my post and dropped the link between the Img thingy. When I hit the Preview button, it looks like my link is highlighted. You as a reader would have to go to each link to see my pictures, is there a way to post the picture as a picture and not as a link?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rabbit

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat May 17, 2014 1:29 am

Photobucket sometimes screws with image codes to try to make every picture a hyperlink too - more traffic for them to sell ad space on their site, I guess. Make sure the address between the [img] blocks is a direct link to an image file (the address should end in .jpg, or maybe .png or .gif), and not a webpage address (ending in .com, .htm, or .html, or with no suffix).

Or just don't use Photobucket. Seriously, it sucks hard now. Even if they work properly at first, embedded images from Photobucket break in short order.

Rabbit
New Shotgunner

Post by Rabbit » Sat May 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Yes, just like you wrote! Thanks for the help.
Rabbit