newbie questions

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
dinorod

newbie questions

Post by dinorod » Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 am

Hello,

I just purchased a 870 super mag and have a few questions...

1. It comes with a 28" barrel that i plan on using for ducks this year...which choke is ideal?

2. Converting it to HD in the off season...is it possible to shoot sabot or the like with any accuracy out of
a 18 1/2" cyl. bore? if so which round did you find best? I'd like to keep the tightest groups at the max yds with 00 or 000....what do you suggest?

3. I read Chris Costa's interview and he suggests the Vang Comp system for short barrels...does it really make that much of a difference? Is it worth the cost?

4. I also plan on installing an Adv Tech talon tac stock....any experience with them? Also a Hogue foregrip, GG&G mag follower, 2 shot extension ( which is best?) I also have my eye on the CDM w/ 3 rail (in order to put a Fenix E21 light on it ) for a clamp

Please help! and thanks!

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: newbie questions

Post by jpfrog » Tue May 01, 2012 2:34 pm

I can help with a couple....the others I have no experience with, so here goes:

1.) I like a Modified (MOD) choke for ducks- it gives me a little tighter pattern for a little more distance than I'd get out of an Improved Cylinder (IC) if they're not coming in on top of me, and if they are coming in on top of me, it's not so tight that I'd miss completely. Basically, any shot I'd take with an IC I can still take and hit with a MOD, but some shots that I can take with a MOD I wouldn't be able to hit with an IC, so for ducks, I go MOD.

2.) Define accuracy. If you're talking 100 yards, no. If you're talking typical in-home distances that are more often measured in feet than in yards, yes....that's why most of the 18.5" barrels come in CYL. It's the most versatile for the type of shooting you'll be doing with that setup. 00 Buck and slugs will do just fine- just be aware of what's on the other side of the wall, and on the other side of the next two walls after that. If you don't have a brick or stone exterior, you'll need to worry about your neighborhood each time you pull the trigger with 00 Buck or slugs also. You'd be surprised how how effective bird shot can be at close ranges, and it won't blow through walls and hit other things (or people) you're not meaning to hit.

3.) No clue
4.) No clue

Hope this helps a little...

AkiroHikage
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AkiroHikage » Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 pm

You should check out Vang Comp's website for info on the barrel improvements (http://www.vangcomp.com). I would like to get a Vang Comp barrel sometime down the road, but it is a steep investment if you are just shooting occasionally. Porting the barrel is the equivalent of a ported or compensated handgun, or even a flash hider on a rifle, it will drastically effect barrel rise/recoil. The work he does to the forcing cone is also supposed to improve your shot groupings. You may also want to take a look at Wilson Combat's Scattergun technologies line of improvements. They can transform any 870 into quite a formidable tactical shotgun, I have not used them but they have very good reviews.

Just an FYI Vang Comp does do some sort of Christmas sale according to their website.

If you are new to your gun I recommend keeping it fairly stock and getting a feel for the action and shooting before you start making any drastic upgrades, beyond those of safety (e.g. safety button) and reliability (e.g. follower, mag spring, trigger components).
The tactical psychologist.

dinorod

Post by dinorod » Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you guys very much for your insight...yes I am new to this gun and have only put about 200 down the pipe of a 28" to get her going...I think I'll stick with the basics (springs etc.) for now...but I do have a follow up question concerning an 18 1/2"...would a mod choke on this barrel give me good accuracy to say 50yds w/ slugs? I don't really want to put a dedicated rifled barrel on it...just stick with the 18 & 28.

Thanks for the help!

Dino

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 am

I would personally use an IC choke for slugs, as well as buckshot. A slug fired from your 18-1/2" barrel is certainly capable of 50 yard acceptable accuracy and beyond. I regularly practice longer range slug shooting & test the measure of a slug & barrel at at least 100 yards. My teenage boys & I regularly shoot @ 100 yards and much further with slugs...I have several steel human size sillouette targets at ranges from 50 to 300 yards...we practice a great deal at various ranges with slugs.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Mon May 27, 2013 6:59 am

I have a reborn Super Mag myself. I have an 18 1/2 and 20" barrel smooth bore IC barrel. I use the Remington Brand +2 (the best choice) for the 18.5, and a +3 Nordic mag ext for the 20". I have a Mesa Urbino Tactical Stock, and a Mesa 6rd sidesaddle/rail combo, i also installed a GG+G Folllwer and new spring. I put a Fab Defense/Mako Tactical forend on it as well (mainly to mount my Taclight). With my 20" barrel, i can shoot slugs effectivly at 50 to 75 yds, and i can hit aything i'm aiming at with 00 Buck (good ammo choice) at 25-35 yds (a little better with my 20" barrel). If you're just changing it around for a HD purpose in the off season, i would'nt spend too much on an expensive barrel, Remington has many Barrel choices that will fit your needs for a HD weapon. Also, Choate, Wilson Combat and Nordic make (Remington brand is my favorite though) a good quality mag ext. at good prices. Good luck with your conversion.
Last edited by Automag on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed May 29, 2013 12:11 am

dinorod wrote:I do have a follow up question concerning an 18 1/2"...would a mod choke on this barrel give me good accuracy to say 50yds w/ slugs? I don't really want to put a dedicated rifled barrel on it...just stick with the 18 & 28.
Slugs are a single projectile, not a pattern of multiple smaller ones, so you don't use different chokes for different ranges. As for which is best for slugs, it depends on the slugs. Testing is the best way to go, but ammo manufacturers will sometimes give a recommended constriction. The Remington slugs I use recommend IC for best results, and I think I've seen Modified suggested in literature for some Winchester slugs.

Rifled barrels are specifically meant for sabot slugs. For a defensive weapon that will see both shot and slugs, you'd be best off with a smoothbore barrel, and using slugs intended for it.