Home defense: Bird shot, Buck shot or Slugs ?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
jeffcneal
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Home defense: Bird shot, Buck shot or Slugs ?

Post by jeffcneal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:51 am

badboybeeson:

Do you consider "low recoil 00" the best overall round for indoor/outdoor use?

thanks,
Jeff

Mud Hunter
New Shotgunner

Post by Mud Hunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I picked up a box of this Centurion Multi-Defense buckshot. I haven't fired it yet, so I have no opinion just yet in that regard. Anyone else on here tried this yet?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/1 ... x?a=573019

dbailey195
New Shotgunner

Post by dbailey195 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:17 am

I have 00 but picked up a box of Federal, High Powered #8 (7/8 1440 fps 3 1/2 dram). The ammo was a recommendation from a local Tactical Gun Shop owner.

SigPro2022

Post by SigPro2022 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 am

My first six rounds are 3" Mag. #2 birdshot, followed by 3 00 buck. I have 6 00 buckshot loads in the sidesaddle. I have patterned the loads at the longest distance I would/could shoot in my house and it keeps it all in about a 6-8" circle.

vmax
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by vmax » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 am

Just wondering? has anyone ever had to touch the loud button for a real home invasion? Not job related. I live in a small town rual area with a very low crime rate. Although i am prepared i would bet the bank that it never happens and thats the way i pray it stays. OO buck ready and covered in dust LOL.
Don't buy it if you can't sell it.

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:24 pm

I build my own by using simple 177 cal. bb's. They are cheaper to reload and way more cost effective than buying ammo at today's prices. I use my Mec sizemaster with a #37 powder bushing, and a 1-1/8 shotbar in a reloaded federal 00 buck hull with green dot for powder. Very effective!

gypsydan41
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by gypsydan41 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Sharded glass works well, Japan proved that on the island of Iwo Jima with ceramic anti personel grenades and mines. It made it very hard to treat a wound that the projectile could not be dug out or able to be seen. Plus sharded glass within 15 ft. will find a hole wether it be around body armour or even a helmet. Just into the eyes of your intruder and the fight is OVER, and that is what we all want right?

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm

The U.S. Army has done several studies as has the F.B.I. To nutshell their conclusions: Under 21 feet the damage done to a humanoid by birdshot, slugs or 00 is hard to differentiate. Bird shot will dump it's energy very quickly and not over penetrate. Which may be a consideration in your home defense plan.

Black Rock,

A.T.F. SHOULD BE A CONVIENCE STORE NOT A COVERNMENT ANGENCY.

bbull311
Shotgunner

Post by bbull311 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:32 pm

First of all, I hope that none of you ever have to find any of this out first hand. The problem with birdshot is that not only will it not over penetrate, it doesn't penetrate well at all. Your objective should be to end the threat to yourself, your family, or another person. If that happens by them running away with a load of birdshot, fine. But I can almost promise that they will stay functional. Hopefully they will run and not return fire. If you want to bet lives on birdshot, that is your decision. My only use for birdshot is training. My 870 is loaded with Federal LE 132 with 4 more rounds on the sidesaddle along with 3 slugs. I am not betting my life or anyone elses on birdshot making someone run away. I would hope that you wouldn't either. Good luck.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss

Mifune326
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Mifune326 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:33 am

bbull311 wrote:First of all, I hope that none of you ever have to find any of this out first hand. The problem with birdshot is that not only will it not over penetrate, it doesn't penetrate well at all. Your objective should be to end the threat to yourself, your family, or another person. If that happens by them running away with a load of birdshot, fine. But I can almost promise that they will stay functional. Hopefully they will run and not return fire. If you want to bet lives on birdshot, that is your decision. My only use for birdshot is training. My 870 is loaded with Federal LE 132 with 4 more rounds on the sidesaddle along with 3 slugs. I am not betting my life or anyone elses on birdshot making someone run away. I would hope that you wouldn't either. Good luck.
+1

Federal LE 132 (Flight Control) puts all the pellets in a 6" spread from my 18.5" IC 870 at 15 yards! Pretty impressive stuff.