A good start....

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
jbw
New Shotgunner

A good start....

Post by jbw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

Hey,

Looking for sensible mods to upgrade for home defense. My stock 870 Express:

28" barrel
12GA
REM t
Choke 5+

Haven't fired within last 3 yrs.(Bought new in '97)
I'm a newbie in regards to my REM.....
Any help appreciated.....
Thanx
JBW
JB
Prescott, Arizona, USA
REM 870 Express (a work in progress......)

jeffcneal
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: A good start....

Post by jeffcneal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:02 am

jbw:

Are you wanting to go with an extra barrel or cut that one down?

regards,
Jeff

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 am

jbw wrote:Hey,

Looking for sensible mods to upgrade for home defense. My stock 870 Express:

28" barrel
12GA
REM t
Choke 5+

Haven't fired within last 3 yrs.(Bought new in '97)
I'm a newbie in regards to my REM.....
Any help appreciated.....
Thanx
JBW

jbw, do you have stanard stock, forend, follower, safety and sights? Do you plan to have a flashlight on your shotgun?
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

jeffcneal
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jeffcneal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:24 pm

jbw:

With 106 members on this forum, your likely to get 106 different build concepts. I am certainly NOT saying that mine is the best way to go, but here it is for what it's worth:

- Have that 28" barrel professionally cut down to the minimum legal length. This will be approximately 21" considering the vent rib has to be cut at the front of a post. While you're there, have a high visibility front sight bead installed on the rib. Also see if he's got a non-MIM extractor, installation's easy but your already in the shop.

- Go to http://www.riflestock.com and pick out a synthetic furniture package, 3 round magazine extension [inc. extension, follower, proper length spring, and clamp], and rear sling point.

- Get a CDM Gear barrel/magazine clamp with the optional light rail and quick detach swivel point and immediately trash the clamp that came with the extension kit.

- Take your pick of "sidesaddle" shell holders, there's already a thread on the various brands and their respective virtues and vices.

- Choose your weaponlight carefully, Streamlight, Surefire, Elzetta, etc...

In my little corner of the world, a home defense shotgun has to be no-doubt reliable and have 3 simple accessories: a 2 point QUICK DETACH sling in case my family has to be moved quickly, supplemental ammo ON the gun, and a light for positive target identification.

best regards and good luck,
Jeff

jbw
New Shotgunner

Post by jbw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:04 am

jeffcneal wrote:jbw:

Are you wanting to go with an extra barrel or cut that one down?

regards,
Jeff
I want to cut it down.....any advice?
Thanx
JB
Prescott, Arizona, USA

jbw
New Shotgunner

Post by jbw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:40 am

Jeff,

Thank you for the great info...Without calling the shop, how much should I be charged for barrel cutting......Here in AZ guns are everywhere- so are gun shops....

Vitaly,

Yes, it's a bone stock 870 Ex. Magnum I purchased in '97.I do want to mount a light.... Thanks and thank you for this new forum....I'm focused on building a home defense weapon as I used to build a fast car.....lots of mods and a greater understanding of your project/interest than the majority.
The best part of modding the 870 is that it is a whole lot cheaper than modding cars! Not to mention more sensible
JB
Prescott, Arizona, USA

PRegner
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by PRegner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:09 am

jbw wrote:Without calling the shop, how much should I be charged for barrel cutting......Here in AZ guns are everywhere- so are gun shops....
I think it will depend on whether the barrel you're cutting down has a vented rib or not. I've been told that some manufacturers only solder the rib at the ends. If the barrel is not ribbed, then it could be done easily with a tubing cutter, but then you have to carefully chamfer the end. If it were me, I would have a machinist shorten the barrel (chances are, your local gun shop will send it out to one anyway). Having it chucked-up into a lathe and cut will give you the cleanest, most professional results.
Blaming a death on a firearm is like blaming a mis-spelled word on a pencil.

jbw
New Shotgunner

Post by jbw » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

It's a non-vented barrel......I'll do some more research. Thanx
JB
Prescott, Arizona, USA

jeffcneal
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by jeffcneal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:07 pm

jbw:

If it's a plain barrel (no vent rib), cut and crown at 18.5". My local gunsmith said he'd charge around $50 including sight installation. At this length, the barrel will work perfectly with a 2-shot extension if you want one.

regards,
Jeff

jbw
New Shotgunner

Post by jbw » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:41 am

jeffcneal wrote:jbw:

If it's a plain barrel (no vent rib), cut and crown at 18.5". My local gunsmith said he'd charge around $50 including sight installation. At this length, the barrel will work perfectly with a 2-shot extension if you want one.

regards,
Jeff
Thank you Jeff....That's exactly the kind of help I needed! I will now contact some local smiths' to get their input/prices.
I'll report back soon.... :mrgreen:
JB
Prescott, Arizona, USA