forends?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
lockoutmonkey
Shotgunner

forends?

Post by lockoutmonkey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:22 pm

I took the h/d 870 out for a test run this weekend. I loved how it shot and only 1 ftf due to shortstroking. I had trouble holing onto the factory forend. Which one seems to be smaller diameter than stock? do any of y'all use the straps on the forends? Light acceptance and all of the other rails and goodies are not important to me now.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: forends?

Post by Vitaly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:57 pm

http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:56 pm

What fore-end do you have on your gun now, Lockoutmonkey? If you're looking for suggestions for a smaller fore-end, it would be nice to know the size of your current one.

If you want to run something really slim, one option is to take your wood/plastic fore-end off the tube assembly entirely, and just wrap the tube assembly itself in some type of grip tape or other material. The fore-end furniture is not necessary for the gun to function, it's just there to hold on to.

cv0lv0g0
Global Moderator

Post by cv0lv0g0 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:33 am

.. If you like wood I really enjoy my 870 Police wood forend.

lockoutmonkey
Shotgunner

Post by lockoutmonkey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

I have the stock synthetic forend now. My hands aren't the biggest and the thing kept flying out of my hand especially when shooting 00buck or slugs. I have the mark on my chin from shooting a slug with the receiver held too high.

lockoutmonkey
Shotgunner

Post by lockoutmonkey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Is the diameter of the Hogue smaller than the synthetic oem forend? I e-mailed Hogue about this, but they are so busy I have not gotten a reply.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

There are a number of different synthetic 870 fore-ends. Are you talking about the long, sporting-style fore-end, or the cob-style SpeedFeed one?

lockoutmonkey
Shotgunner

Post by lockoutmonkey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 pm

The long sporting typr.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 pm

If you don't mind giving up the extra length of the sporting fore-end (some folks like it because it lets them hold it farther back), I would recommend looking at the SpeedFeed cob-style fore-end for several reasons:

1) It's slim and lightweight, but has aggressive ribbing on the grip (about 1.7-1.8" in diameter) and a narrower top (around 1.5" wide) so you have something to actually wrap your hand around and hold on to, rather than just relying on friction.

2) SpeedFeed makes quality products meant to work first, look cool second. This fore-end is constructed of a solid, cellulosic plastic that will withstand weather and rough treatment very well. There are no rails, rubber inserts, built-in lights, and so forth; but if you don't need those bells and whistles, that just means less to break. Since it's a solid piece, you also have some room to do your own shaping to personalize it to your hand, if you're so inclined.

3) It's fairly inexpensive. I believe these go for about $25 new, and you could probably find it for less used from people who bought Tactical 870s, but decided the SpeedFeed didn't have enough cowbell.

4) This is the standard police-style fore-end Remington uses on almost all of their Tactical 870s; so before you spend your money, you can walk into almost any gun store, find a new 870 with one of these fore-ends on it, and see how it feels.

5) The SpeedFeed fore-end is very representative of a whole range of cob-style fore-ends. If this one feels close, but not ideal, there are a lot of other choices that are subtle variations on the same concept. I like my Police walnut cob fore-end slightly better than my synthetic SpeedFeed one (the former has a little more of a swell at the bottom and is a little leaner on top, which I like); but the two are close enough that if I'm taking the gun somewhere very wet, I can swap the wood for the synthetic furniture, and it doesn't take any adjustment on my part.

lockoutmonkey
Shotgunner

Post by lockoutmonkey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info. Synch. I will try the Speedfeed first since I run a Speedfeed stock(birdshead). I like Hogue for the tackiness of the "grip", but before I spend the money I will look at the Speedfeed. I like what you said about shaping to my hand or I might add the webbing strap I have seen on some of the h/d guns.