My K.I.S.S 870s

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Rambler

My K.I.S.S 870s

Post by Rambler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Hello everyone. New member from Colorado.

Recently I moved into a two story home and being old, fat and lazy I decided I needed a second 870 for downstairs.
It is the top one in the photo. A Tactical with the long tube. I decided I didn't need two all black guns so I painted the metal Hammered Gray. I also installed Hogue (12" LOP) furniture, Mesa side saddle and XS Big Dot tritium front sight. The only other mod is a steel extractor.

The bottom 870 has been around for a few years and is bone stock except for the XS Big Dot front sight and steel extractor.
I milled a flat spot on the forearm and mounted a Wal-Mart flashlight in a Weaver scope ring (quick release) screwed and glued to the forearm. I will probably put a Hogue short stock on it and have to figure a new mount for the flashlight.

Rambler

Update: I installed a Houge 12 inch stock, but left the original forearm with the flashlight on it.
Attachments
P3110002 - Copy.JPG
P3110002 - Copy.JPG (73.58 KiB) Viewed 8668 times

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: My K.I.S.S 870s

Post by ponycarman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Great looking shotguns! I love the k.i.s.s principal.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am

ponycarman wrote:Great looking shotguns! I love the k.i.s.s principal.
Seconded. While many of the accessories marketed for the 870 have some purpose in specific situations, the majority of their use seems to be merely eye candy. Appearance and enjoyment at the gun range are valid pursuits, certainly, but if I have to defend my life with my shotgun, I want its function to be as simple and expeditious as possible.

(Click for the video)

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 am

I tend to agree as well....all my HD 870's have been "customized" if you will to some extent, but I too like the K.I.S.S approach also. Mine are no great shakes, but the modifications performed all have their place for my uses. Gotta love the versatility & reliability the 870 affords. Your keeping additional shotguns strategically located is my way of thinking as well. We live out in the "woods" and I like having one close by at all times! I'm not scared mind you, just try to be prepared at all times.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 am

I had to google KISS principle to know what this was about - Turns out my 870P adheres perfectly to this thinking. That's a great looking pair of shotguns, nicely done.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:38 am

Bastard File wrote:I'm not scared mind you, just try to be prepared at all times.
Reminds me of a newspaper clipping one of my brothers showed me a while back.

A police officer pulls an old woman over for some minor reason. When the woman hands over her information, the cop is surprised to find a concealed carry permit included. He asks her if she's carrying, and finds she has three different handguns in various locations in the vehicle. When he asks what she's afraid of to be so armed, she looks him in the eye and says, "Not a f*****g thing!"

I found out later that specific story was a fabrication, but I still love it because there are people like that, and I know several of them in my area. They're not arming themselves out of fear, but because they refuse to roll over and be a victim.

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:05 pm

I carry an XDs 45 and have an XDm 9mm at my bedside, but consider them tools to fight my way to a shotgun.

Rambler

nbk13nw
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by nbk13nw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Rambler wrote:I carry an XDs 45 and have an XDm 9mm at my bedside, but consider them tools to fight my way to a shotgun.

Rambler

Same here. Just picked up an XDs .45 for carry and I keep the XDm 9 5.35 at the beside as well.

Love the shotguns btw...

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Nice shotguns, i love Hogue stocks, especially for the KISS aproach. While i'm guilty of going a little overboard on my 870, i'm very used to my upgrades and each has a purpose (I did get rid of the VFG). I'm buying a second 870 myself, and am going to pretty much adhere to the kiss approach.
I loved the video you posted Synchro, funny as hell. I almost put a CD player on my 870 too--LOL!! :mrgreen:
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.