Is the Police model really necessary ???

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
krul1
New Shotgunner

Is the Police model really necessary ???

Post by krul1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:08 am

Hello All
Have the cash but need the info,,, i would like an 870 to add to my collection,want to take a shotgun course with it and then have it for home and the campsite
my question is should i get the police model and be done with it, or get a synthetic express and make it my own by doing all the great upgrades and mods that I have read about here,,, I look forward to you opinions and recomendations.
Thanks

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Is the Police model really necessary ???

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 am

I've got the 870P and I love it, so I'm biased. Aside from the upgraded parts that you can swap onto an Express model, one pretty big selling point for the Police Magnum is the finish. It's a real military-grade parkerized job, vs. the basic and sometimes rust-prone matte black on the Express. The parked finish really holds up, very difficult to scratch, and it just won't rust. Add that to the metal trigger guard, upgraded springs, the Police walnut furniture (or synthetic if that's what you want), it's a very nice package.

Hope that helps, good luck -
Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm

There some threads here and here about the differences between Police and Express 870s, but here are the cliff notes:

The primary advantage with the Police model is the finishing. Police models have a high-end parkerized finish, which is a metal phosphate conversion process that is very durable and corrosion-resistant (not rust-proof though, it'll still rust if you neglect it, you just don't have to be as fastidious as with lesser finishes). You can also have any other 870 parkerized, or go with a different high-quality finish if you have something you like better. I have a quote from a nearby gunsmith for $85 to parkerize my 870 if I strip it down for him. I haven't spent the money because I have yet to experience anything but cosmetic issues with my Express-finished parts, but the option is there. The Police models also get more detailed attention during manufacturing, and will generally have better fit & function out of the box. No 870 is at its best until it's been thoroughly broken in, but a new Police starts out closer to that condition than a new Express.

Apart from that, the differences are minor. Compared to the Express, a Police 870 has a handful of internal upgrades (maybe $25-$30 worth of springs and small parts, if you feel the need to do everything), "POLICE MAGNUM" inscribed on the receiver, and - on at least some models - a compressed aluminum trigger plate (which is actually not as good as the polymer part used on other 870s; the aluminum is more brittle, and shows wear more prominently).

Furniture, sights, and other accessories will vary depending on which models you're comparing, but a lot of Express models come with basic, synthetic Police furniture, and virtually all parts & accessories are interchangeable.

Police 870s are top-notch weapons, no doubt about it. If you want a high-quality build right out of the box, and you don't mind paying extra for it, you won't be disappointed with a Police model.

However, you won't be worse-off buying a Synthetic Express - or even a used Wingmaster - and upgrading it to create a more personalized weapon that's just as durable and reliable. You'll probably save some money by picking the upgrades you care about and doing the work yourself (depending on how you value your time), especially if you start with an 870 built on a 4+1 receiver with a factory-installed magazine extension (Expresses with a factory extension have barrels with a locking detent in the guide ring, and there aren't any bumps to remove inside the magazine tube). It's telling that many custom 870 builders start with Expresses for their top-dollar builds.

So, it's on you to decide which route fits best; the Police for a higher-end starting point and less effort on your part (and to have an "official" LE model, if you go for that), or an upgraded Express or Wingmaster for a somewhat less-expensive but more involved project.

krul1
New Shotgunner

Post by krul1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks for those tips
I know I will never wear out any model 870,so the question now is it possible to clean up the receiver machine marks and smooth it to a police or wingmaster state? without voiding the warranty? I know this may sound like the least important of questions but whatever model 870 I purchase it will have a cerakote finish applied to it when done. That being said, which model do you think will be my best starting 870?
thanks
J

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm

What do you mean by "receiver machine marks"?

krul1
New Shotgunner

Post by krul1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:04 pm

the super fine grooves on the exterior of the receiver, mostly near the bottom where the radius was milled into it, I do not see these on other models. I am assuming it is because they more "personal attention" to those areas.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that's just the texture of the bead-blasted Express finish. No reason that can't be polished smooth if you like it better that way.

If you're going to be replacing the finish, I'd skip the Police. If you're not going to keep the parkerized finish, don't bother paying for it. Any 870 will function just as well as a Police model if you put a little work into wearing it in and smoothing down any rough spots. Get it all broken in, fit whatever upgrades you want to install, and do any polishing or grinding necessary to get it slicked-up and reliable. If you do all that before having it refinished, the new finish should stay in better shape.