Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Wanting to replace my 18-1/2 barrel

Post by ponycarman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm

There are alot of options. I grabbed a 70's era wingmaster for $150. I added a +2 mag and 18.5 barrel.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Randomguns
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Randomguns » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 pm

sslater0679, Don't know if you looked at the thread Synchronizor referred you to, but there is nothing wrong with the H&R barrels and no one would be the wiser that it doesn't say Remington. I bought two of them for $159.00 each (The whole gun!) When it comes to shooting trap, it's whatever you are, or get comfortable with. I shot PITA and used three shotguns, an 870 an 1100 and a Perazzi O/U. I shot the Perazzi cuz it cost a lot of money and was pretty but I broke 10 times as many with my 1100. Point is, don't worry about what others think, just have fun!
This Space For Rent

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:19 pm

sslater0679 wrote:
Synchronizor wrote:
sslater0679 wrote:Yea the magazine tube does come right before the muzzle.
You're stuck with 18.5" barrels unless you or someone you know can make custom parts for you.
Yea that's the gun. I guess that will give me a reason to get another shotgun. :)
Actually, I was thinking about it this morning, and the only real difference between 6+1 barrels and 4+1 barrels is the location of the guide ring.
Those guide rings are not expensive parts; $6.30 before shipping, according to Remington's parts list (plus $6.40 for a magazine cap detent & detent spring, which would be a nice added feature). If there's a gunsmith in your area who knows how, it probably wouldn't be that complicated to take a standard 870 sporting barrel and braze or solder on a second guide ring a few inches in front of the original guide ring, using the latter as a positioning reference.

Even with the gunsmithing, it should be far less expensive than buying a second gun, and you'd have the advantage of shooting with a system you're already familiar with. A proper guide ring would also be more dependable and durable than sticking a piece of pipe or conduit in there as a spacer.

Next time I see him, I'll have to remember to ask my gunsmith about this, and see what he might charge.

gratefuljed
New Shotgunner

Post by gratefuljed » Sat May 05, 2018 8:27 am

So Hans at Vang Comp will tell you that his customers with 18.5 " barrels and his "system" routinely blow away the competition shooting trap..It gives you a 12' group at 25 yards. I love it, and it keeps your shotgun shooting...the holes at the end are for muzzle flash to exit so folks don't get too blinded from their target, and he does some barrel work as well. I forgot what that was about..

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Sat May 26, 2018 2:18 pm

The shotgun in the picture has the four shot magazine with an extension and not the six shot tube which limits barrel options. You will not have any problems with standard 870 barrel's if you want to put a different barrel on the pictured gun.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 am

I also started shooting trap with an 870, which I still use. It's great for singles. Not sure I'd want to try trap doubles with a pump gun though.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 28, 2018 4:54 am

You can definitely do doubles with a pump. Trap or skeet. It's not the optimal choice; if you really want to get competitive, you'll probably do a better with a semi-auto or a double-barrel (being able to choke your first & second shots differently is a big plus). But a pump can get the job done if you know how to work it, and it's certainly gratifying when you're breaking both clays consistently with a humble 870 while the person next to you has trouble with a high-end O/U worth thousands of dollars.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Tue May 29, 2018 1:37 am

I think its a lot more fun shooting clays with a pump rather than a semiauto.

Chilly
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Chilly » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:02 pm

I wonder about a tube to adapt standard barrels to a tactical. Heavy wall aluminum tube long enough to make up the space between the ring and the nut. Install standard barrel, slip tube over magazine, install nut.