where can I get a 18 inch LEFT handed barrel?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
x-caliber
Shotgunner

where can I get a 18 inch LEFT handed barrel?

Post by x-caliber » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 am

I am in search of a 18 or 18.5 inch LEFT handed barrel, preferably with a blade front sight or the dovetail cut to install a tall front sight, any suggestions?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: where can I get a 18 inch LEFT handed barrel?

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:03 am

My parts list only gives one Remington-produced LH 870 barrel, which is the 28" RC vent-rib. You're probably going to be stuck with cutting down your existing barrel to the desired length, or buying another barrel to cut down if you want this to be a multi-role gun. This is what J.D. does with his AI&P LH-Tactical 870 build:

The vent-rib with a simple front bead actually makes for a pretty quick and effective sight setup on a close-range tactical build. If you're really set on ghost-rings, you can remove the vent-rib and mount a normal Remington front blade if you know what you're doing, or look for a similar part that would mount right to the rib.

x-caliber
Shotgunner

Post by x-caliber » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm

thanks for the reply, I have been doing a lot of internet searching, looks like Remington use to make a 20" Left handed Barrel but has been discontinued for quite a while.

I will probably use a vent-rib barrel and cut it down, I have also found a 'sight ramp" that will go on top of the rib and it has a dove tail notch to hold a blade sight. this will aso get the sight tall enoght to be in the ball park as far as accuracy since the ghost ring is another 1/4 inch or so taller and will be on a picatenny rail.

the only down side to this is my barrel length will be limited to cutting the barrel off at a point wherre the rib contacts the barrel. so a perfect 18 inches might not be possible.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:14 pm

x-caliber wrote:I have been doing a lot of internet searching, looks like Remington use to make a 20" Left handed Barrel but has been discontinued for quite a while.
Do you have a link for that? I've only ever seen the 28", so I'd be interested to read up on a 20".
x-caliber wrote:I will probably use a vent-rib barrel and cut it down, I have also found a 'sight ramp" that will go on top of the rib and it has a dove tail notch to hold a blade sight.
Sounds good. I'd make sure you have your whole sight system (front, rear, and all mounting components) planned out before you start cutting and mounting things, just in case one sight ends up being to tall or short to line up properly with the other.
x-caliber wrote:the only down side to this is my barrel length will be limited to cutting the barrel off at a point wherre the rib contacts the barrel. so a perfect 18 inches might not be possible.
Honestly, if you're cutting it down yourself, it would probably be wise to cut it to 18.5" or 18.25" regardless of how the vent is constructed. Some manufacturers like to use 18.5" barrels instead of the minimum legal length of 18" to pad against measurement disputes. If you personally cut one down to exactly 18", and then some hard-nose from the police or BATFE measures it a hair differently and disputes its legality, you won't even be able to point to a manufacturer part description in defense.

It's a negligible difference in compactness and maneuverability, and it'll also help ensure that your magazine extension doesn't stick past your barrel at all. Some of the +2 extensions out there are designed to be flush with the muzzle of an 18.5" barrel.

x-caliber
Shotgunner

Post by x-caliber » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm

good points, here is the link the the 20 inch left handed barrel on the midway website

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110021 ... ights-blue