Finished My 870 Custom Defense Build

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
n4rod
New Shotgunner

Finished My 870 Custom Defense Build

Post by n4rod » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 pm

TI finally put the finishing work on my custom 870 home defense gun yesterday when the last of the parts arrived. I did this in 4 phases over 1 year.

Phase 1 was to disassemble the 870 and turn the receiver over to my gunsmith for bead blasting and DuraCoating in HR matt black. Both sides of the receiver were rusted through the original bluing and I wanted all that removed and a good quality coating applied.

Phase 2 was to inspect all parts for quality and function, then reassemble the gun to check for operation. Then I installed a Remington 18 inch smooth bore "Police barrel," a Butler Creek folding stock w/pistol grip, and a Choate Plus 2 magazine extension.

Phase 3 I installed a Tac Star 6-round ammo saddle, EOTech 120 lumen LED forend, and a Blackhawk sling with 15 shotshell loops. At that time I wrapped the 2 top steel rods of the Butler Creek stock with foam, water-pipe insulation to reduce recoil damage to my face!

Phase 4 I installed a Burris Speedbead red dot rear sight and a Hi Vis snap on fiber optic front sight.

The build is over and now comes testing with different rounds to get the red dot sight adjusted. I will be using 3 basic rounds. Federal 2 3/4 inch 1 ounce lead hollow point rifled slugs, 2 3/4 inch Federal 00 buckshot, and Federal 2 3/4 inch #1 buckshot. I do have a box of Seller & Bellot rubber buckshot but only for running off the black bears that destroy my deer feeders.

One note, this 870AP Wingmaster was originally manufactured in June 1950 and was 62 years old when I started this project. I must say that it looks nothing like it did when manufactured 63 year ago! I have all the parts that I removed from the gun and can put it back into its 1950 configuration anytime I want. I specifically researched all options installed so there was no grinding, drilling, or tapping required. And there is something to be said about Remington's manufacturing specifications remaining unchanged over the decades as I could order an aftermarket part made in 2012 and it installed without having to modify either the gun or part. Great work Remington!

Here's what she looks like.
Attachments
870Custom.jpg
870Custom.jpg (129.8 KiB) Viewed 5749 times

ibn3rdc0re
New Shotgunner

Re: Finished My 870 Custom Defense Build

Post by ibn3rdc0re » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Thats cool

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Wow! Looks great! Very interesting setup!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 am

Nice setup. Very cool to see a vintage 870 that's just as serviceable as guns 60 years younger.

Do you always have that sling on, or do you keep it handy, ready to snap on if you're heading outside? I specifically avoid slings on my bedside builds, because I can't see them being good for anything besides hanging up on every piece of furniture inside the home.

n4rod
New Shotgunner

Post by n4rod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:38 pm

I put that sling on for the photo so I could show all the accessories I acquired for the gun build. I keep the gun leaning up next to my bed at night and the sling is not on it. I also have a Hunter brand leather belt that holds 18 shot shells. I put the sling back on and also wear the ammo belt when I'm out walking in the woods.

I built this gun with multiple capabilities using a forend light, fiber optic sight, red dot sight, and higher capacity with more shells available because of where I live. As I wrote in another discussion, I live on a private road in a National Forest. I'm at 2,000 ft elevation on the south face of a 2,700 ft mountain. Looking south from my front porch, it is 15 miles to the next mountain range and there are no structures visible. I own the private road coming into my property. At the top of the mountain there is a locked steel gate which any visitor must obtain the combination to open. Then it's 1/2 mile down a gravel, 4WD road to the turn into my residence, which is 100 yards back in the forest. If anyone comes out here, they have a reason. Either to visit me, or they are an opportunist seeing what they can steal. In the 7 1/2 years I've lived here there has been only 2 people who said they were, "Lost." One of them was a county deputy in a marked cruiser.

I'm not in any mapping software database, and I'm not in the U.S. Postal Service date base so don't get mail delivered. Out here I'm my own police, fire department, and doctor. Once I drove my vehicle off the road in a blinding rainstorm. I used the OnStar emergency button in my truck. They replied they couldn't locate me on their mapping database. They contacted the local 911 center and I had to give them directions on how to get here. It took the first responder 1 hour 35 minutes to arrive. So I'm REMOTE to say the least. I tell everyone, "I'm not at the END OF THE WORLD, but you can see the end from my porch!" It's maybe 3/4 of a mile back out my road to the closest house. It's in the next valley over on the other side of my mountain top. I don't own any firearms, including my 30.06 that could fire that far, so no worry about projectiles striking another structure. And that home is owned by a state police officer, so I better not shoot his house!!!

If I'm out and about on my property I wear a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum and carry the 870 loaded with slugs. Lots of marauding black bears in the area that keep destroying my deer feeders and bird feeders. Also, a neighbor spotted a Mountain Lion in the area a year ago, although the game wardens refuse to acknowledge those are in our area. When I used to walk with my dogs, they would start barking and let me know if some other animal was near. At 13 1/2 years old they both had to be put down with stage 4 cancer in 2011, so now I walk alone, no cellphone service and no one to hear me yell for help. I love living way out here, but there is a price to pay for seclusion. When outside, I must be completely aware of my surroundings, including sight, sound, and smell. Bears do smell really bad and so far I've smelled them first before they smelled me. Also, other wild animals, deer, fox, squirrels, and birds, especially crows and jays will alarm when a predator comes in the area. When outside one just has to remember it isn't like walking down main street in Disney World.

At night the 870 is ready for home defense. During the day it's ready for dangerous animals and trespassers. I bought a box of rubber buckshot the other day. Want to see if that will send those bears on their way. Been using fireworks until now, but afraid of setting the woods on fire with those.

Rod