My Combat Config 870 Express Magnum

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

My Combat Config 870 Express Magnum

Post by rythomas0704 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Ok, so I received a NIB, never fired 2009 870 Express Magnum with the Synthetic furniture and vent ribbed barrel in an Armslist trade for my old Marlin (very seasoned) .22 with few upgrades. I own a few old shotguns that have been inherited or purchased at shows that serve as hunting, property, and HD. However, I have always wanted to be an 870 owner but just never came across a good deal or was able to afford... until now.

I decided that this gun was going to be a project. No cheap upgrades, no corners cut, and no expense spared. I want to make this guy a functional combat/SHTF/HD gun. So here I am at the beginning.

* Dismantled the trigger (as far as was needed) and polished ALL metal surfaces that meet or mate during the pull of trigger as well as hammer movement and locking. I also, very slowly and carefully removed sear spring material until I reached a smooth pull of 1.5 lb compared to the 5lb that I first measured.

DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY AWARE OF HOW TRIGGERS WORK AND ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR SAFETY AND DROP TEST FOR SENSITIVITY EVERY TIME YOU REMOVE MATERIAL FROM THE SEAR SPRING

As of now the pull is butter smooth and light... just the way I like it. When I pull the trigger there is ZERO movement in the barrel. However, the hammer will NOT drop when I slam the butt on the concrete or if I drop the gun in different ways on my floor. I am confident that the trigger job is safe and strong. I am still working on removing the creep from the trigger and any walk will be removed with the purchase of a side saddle.

Eventually I would like to purchase the metal trigger assembly for the police model to replace the plastic one that comes with the express and give it a trigger job.

Right now my focus is on the internals to insure that this 870 is going to be reliable and functional before I focus on the looks and the tactical aspect. I will post more photos with each upgrade and addition.

Here is a pic of the gun. The ONLY upgrades done as of now is a barrel chop to 18.25" (just temporary until I purchase the 18" Tactical barrel and choke from Remington), and a trigger job*.
Attachments
Rem870.jpg
Here it is bone stock aside from a 18.25" barrel chop (temp till new barrel is in stock) and a trigger job from 5# to roughly 1.5#
Rem870.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 12159 times
Last edited by rythomas0704 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: My Combat Config 870 Express Magnum

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 pm

The polymer trigger guards are actually a lot tougher than the old powdered-aluminum parts.

If I wasn't limited to typing on my Kindle all weekend, I could add a link to a really convincing demonstration video of impact testing.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 am

Really? I always felt that good old fashioned metal was tougher... however I did not know that it was actually aluminum. Scratch that then. Thanks for the advice... again. Yeah, when you get a chance shoot me that link. It would be greatly appreciated.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Ok so I was in the middle of ordering some minor internals for my combat 870 build. I really didn't spend more than $30 at the time, due to a tight budget this week, but I came across a +2 Mag Extension that was ACTUALLY in stock. It is a Choate extension however. I was originally waiting for the Nordic Components +2 to come in but due to the recent scare it is almost impossible to find an extension so I jumped on it. I do trust the site and the reviews were actually quite positive. It cost me $45.00 plus shipping, which I did NOT want to spend but knowing that I need/want a bigger mag cap I broke down. I do plan on replacing it, when able, with the Nordic Components Extension and maybe just hold onto the Choate one as a back-up or save for my next 870.

I will post my personal opinion of the product as well as some pics for anyone who cares.

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. :x
- George Orwell

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 am

rythomas0704 wrote:Really? I always felt that good old fashioned metal was tougher... however I did not know that it was actually aluminum. Scratch that then. Thanks for the advice... again. Yeah, when you get a chance shoot me that link. It would be greatly appreciated.
The aluminum trigger groups are not machined from a solid block of high-end alloy with a nice grain structure. They're formed through a powder metallurgy process, where aluminum particles are pressed and heated into shape.

Here's the video I was referring to. It's an older clip, and it's about the 10/22, not the 870; but it shows exactly what I'm talking about. The polymer is a tougher material because it can deform elastically under impact, while the compressed aluminum will crack and snap after very little deformation.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 pm

My new Choate +2 Extension arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. I have read some horror stories for reviews on finish, fit and functionality. I don't have any of those problems. Fit is perfect, the parkerized finish is great (a VERY close match to mine), and it functions great. I have cycled maybe 60 shells through it with NO hangups whatsoever. Yet to test fire but dont foresee any problems. The supplied follower is a little rough so I stuck with the original one but no big deal as I plan on replacing it with a stainless or aluminum follower with my next order.
DSC00485.JPG
DSC00485.JPG (115.75 KiB) Viewed 12107 times

I also modified the supplied clamp to accept a small weaver rail for a light. I had a small 190 lumen tac light in my safe so I slapped it on for now until I get the one I really want. Total cost to modify the clamp is maybe $8. Word to the wise. Use something inside of the clamp to protect your finish from marring. I used the soft side of self adhesive velcro. Works well.
DSC00489.JPG
DSC00489.JPG (61.45 KiB) Viewed 12107 times
And the finished product.
DSC00490.JPG
DSC00490.JPG (41.67 KiB) Viewed 12107 times
If anyone has ANY questions please ask. Thanks.
- George Orwell

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm

rythomas0704, thanks for the review! All readers which post reviews are eligible for free Remington 870 Guide, please send me private message with your e-mail address.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 am

Hey thanks Vitaly. Didn't know that when I wrote my little review but it is greatly appreciated. I kind of enjoy reviewing products for others in hopes that it will help them.
- George Orwell

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm

UPDATE:
So I finally got a chance to put my 870 to some use and put roughly 30+ shells of varying load and length down range and the Choate +2 extension performed excellently. Not one hiccup. Smooth feed, strong and durable. I am positive that some of the bad reviews I read must have been installer/user error. As long as you install it properly, don't cross thread, you should have NO PROBLEMS.

Thanks.
- George Orwell

1199lee

Post by 1199lee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi rythomas0704

Did you have modify the Choate spring, if you did, what was the final length....

Thanks