870 Express HD Ammo Suggestions Please...

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 Express HD Ammo Suggestions Please...

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Kentactic wrote:30% difference seems very high not saying your wrong but its only 170fps difference.
Kinetic energy is .5 * (mass) * (velocity)^2

Since the energy goes up with the square of the velocity, even a moderate speed boost makes a significant difference.

Assuming the mass of shot is the same, the ratio of full-power ME to reduced-recoil ME would reduce to 1345^2/1175^2, which equals 1.31029.
Kentactic wrote:But even a smaller shooter can manage full recoil loads with proper technique.
Very true, you can handle just about anything with proper technique, regardless of physical stature. Though she's in excellent physical shape, my mother is in her 50s, stands about 5-foot and some change, and can't weigh more than 110-120 lbs. However, she can handle full-house 3" loads out of my shotgun, even with my 14" LoP stocks that are way too big for her.

Still, you can't argue with physics. However hard you push the shot, it'll push you back just as hard; and while that recoil may not seem too bad on the range, it may well be a different animal in the stress and adrenaline of a life-or-death shooting. At ranges inside a home, against a human, you're not giving up much lethality if you choose to make it easier on yourself by using low-recoil loads or a 20ga.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Kentactic wrote:30% difference seems very high not saying your wrong but its only 170fps difference.
Kinetic energy is .5 * (mass) * (velocity)^2

Since the energy goes up with the square of the velocity, even a moderate speed boost makes a significant difference.

Assuming the mass of shot is the same, the ratio of full-power ME to reduced-recoil ME would reduce to 1345^2/1175^2, which equals 1.31029.
Kentactic wrote:But even a smaller shooter can manage full recoil loads with proper technique.
Very true, you can handle just about anything with proper technique, regardless of physical stature. Though she's in excellent physical shape, my mother is in her 50s, stands about 5-foot and some change, and can't weigh more than 110-120 lbs. However, she can handle full-house 3" loads out of my shotgun, even with my 14" LoP stocks that are way too big for her.

Still, you can't argue with physics. However hard you push the shot, it'll push you back just as hard; and while that recoil may not seem too bad on the range, it may well be a different animal in the stress and adrenaline of a life-or-death shooting. At ranges inside a home, against a human, you're not giving up much lethality if you choose to make it easier on yourself by using low-recoil loads or a 20ga.
Ya all true. Im going to do a test with a shot timer. Low recoil, Normal power, and even 3" for kicks. See if the recoil reduces the time from shot to shot on target. Might take video too well see.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Kentactic wrote:Ya all true. Im going to do a test with a shot timer. Low recoil, Normal power, and even 3" for kicks. See if the recoil reduces the time from shot to shot on target. Might take video too well see.
I would be interested in seeing that, I don't have the equipment to accurately time my performance.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:30 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Kentactic wrote:Ya all true. Im going to do a test with a shot timer. Low recoil, Normal power, and even 3" for kicks. See if the recoil reduces the time from shot to shot on target. Might take video too well see.
I would be interested in seeing that, I don't have the equipment to accurately time my performance.

I just went on my phone and downloaded the free ISPC shot timer app. I havent tested it with gunfire yet but it works great with clapping your hands. Its a tad sensitive so ill just have to have the shot timer guy stand a ways away so working the action dosent set it off too.

jayrodomon

Post by jayrodomon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:50 am

i just got a remington 870 express as well and know little about shotguns. its a 12 g with a 28 in barrel. do i need to change the choke or anything to fire slugs, buckshot?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 am

It depends on the size of the choke. As long as it's a modified or lighter, Foster slugs should work fine. Those ridges most people call rifling let it pass through chokes without causing problems.

You should be able to fire buckshot out of most any choke, as long as the choke is approved for that shot material. Most buckshot is lead or a similarly-soft high-density material though, so I wouldn't worry about buckshot. Shot material becomes a bigger deal in bird hunting, where some people still use shells with steel shot.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 pm

jayrodomon wrote:i just got a remington 870 express as well and know little about shotguns. its a 12 g with a 28 in barrel. do i need to change the choke or anything to fire slugs, buckshot?

Lets start with, what choke is in or is the barrel of your shotgun? Ive seen real restrictive chokes split after firing a lot of buck shot. With a slug i suppose the exact slug your firing matters and through what choke with wether or not the choke will hurt your results or not. If your deforming the slug/pellets its not ideal.

jgreenlee
New Shotgunner

vermox dulcolax tamoxifen stromectol azithrom

Post by jgreenlee » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:12 pm

vermox kaufen vermox kaufen schweiz vermox rezeptfrei osterreich
dulcolax ohne rezept dulcolax ohne rezept kaufen dulcolax kaufen
tamoxifen 20 kaufen tamoxifen 10 mg kaufen tamoxifen bestellen ohne rezept
stromectol 3mg tabletten kaufen stromectol kaufen ohne rezept osterreich stromectol kaufen ohne rezept osterreich
azithromycin 500 mg kaufen ohne rezept azithromycin 500 kaufen azithromycin 500 preis ohne rezept
keppra 500 mg kaufen keppra kaufen keppra kaufen rezeptfrei
furosemid rezeptfrei bestellen lasix kaufen lasix rezeptfrei osterreich
meloxicam ohne rezept meloxicam al 15 mg kaufen meloxicam bestellen ohne rezept
nitrofurantoin kaufen apotheke deutschland nitrofurantoin rezeptfrei nitrofurantoin kaufen ohne rezept
maxalt bestellen ohne rezept maxalt ohne rezept maxalt ohne rezept