Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
wyatt66

Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Post by wyatt66 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm

I have an 870 Express Tactical, Synthetic, 18", 7 shot, bead sight, no rails. Is it possible to add the Tactical extended Rem Choke to this gun?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Tactical Extended Rem Choke for 870

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:48 pm

If the barrel isn't threaded for chokes, you'll either need to buy a new barrel or have a gunsmith modify your current barrel.

If your gun is the model with the long, one-piece magazine tube, the latter is your only option.

wyatt66

Post by wyatt66 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the reply!! I did a little research and found that to be the case. Not sure it it's worth the added cost just to add the choke.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 am

wyatt66 wrote:Not sure it it's worth the added cost just to add the choke.
Honestly, those tactical chokes don't have much practical use in a HD role. They're a simple cylinder tube, so adding one to your barrel won't change your pattern. It'll also add a couple inches to the overall length of your gun, which is not usually a desired feature for HD. Even in the unlikely event that you do have to breach a door, birdshot or a breacher slug will have the exact same effect whether it comes out of a normal barrel, or one with a fancy-looking tip on it; you'll just have to hold off a little and take an extra split-second to aim.

The one practical use I can imagine for it in a HD situation is to smash an intruder in the face if the gun malfunctions or runs empty. To quote Jeff Quinn: "You could pop somebody in the forehead with that thing, get a good tissue sample." Apart from that, I'd personally be inclined to replace it with a standard hunting choke to tune the gun's pattern.

wyatt66

Post by wyatt66 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 am

Thanks for the insight. In the short time since my original post, I've decided to scrap the idea. My new dilemma, laser sight or flashlight?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 am

If it's one or the other, my vote would be for a flashlight. You can use your existing bead sight to aim, but it won't let you see in the dark.

The 870's a versatile platform though. If it tickles your fancy, no reason not to go with both.

Ruthless
New Shotgunner

Post by Ruthless » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I own one and tested it over the weekend with great results on both door locks and door hinges using Buck Shot @ PB Range.
I found no metal or wood fragments inside the barrel or choke after each test.

I love mine - its 50 dollars worth of tacticool :)

We are going to try Slugs and Sabot on door locks as soon as we get some more doors :)

I will have video of the next tests I do for sure.

Tactical Browncoat
New Shotgunner

Post by Tactical Browncoat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Have to go with Synchronizer on this one. I have the Tactical model and the first change I made was to get rid of the breecher choke. In a home defense situation, why add to the length of the weapon? Compact is where its at. I replaced it with a Carlson's improved cylinder internal choke.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Update on this subject, for the benefit of future readers:

Remington has a new version of their Express Tactical that has a long-mag-tube 18.5" barrel that is threaded for chokes and has a front blade sight. I had the opportunity to play around with one briefly last year, and info on the model is up on their website now.
This barrel isn't on my 2012 parts list, so I can't give a part number or confirmed price, but the other long-mag 18.5" cylinder barrel is $150, and other RemChoke 18.5" barrels are the same price, so it's likely this new barrel will also cost the same.

If anyone's dead set on adding chokes and/or ghost-rings to their long-mag Tactical 870, ordering one of these barrels may be cheaper than paying for gunsmith work.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm

wyatt66 wrote:Thanks for the insight. In the short time since my original post, I've decided to scrap the idea. My new dilemma, laser sight or flashlight?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

A flashlight helps you identify your target in low/no light, a laser helps you aim at said target in low/no light. Two different categories.