Rem 870 Sight Help

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
streakpi

Rem 870 Sight Help

Post by streakpi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Greetings. Searched the forum and I can't seem to find an answer to a question.

I have an older Rem 870. Beaded from site, nothing on the back. Would like a ghost ring on the front. However, no heat shield to mount on.

2 questions:

1. What do y'all suggest for a sight on here. I use this purely for HD. I have a mounted TLR-1 on the right side (I'm a lefty) and a shell carrier on the left side mounted.

2. Mounting. I have no problem taking this to a gunsmith - BUT, I pad $250 for the gun. If the sight and the gunsmithing will cost me more than the gun...I will get a new gun!

Thanks for the help!

TYFOON
Shotgunner

Re: Rem 870 Sight Help

Post by TYFOON » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Have you thought a bout a rail on top of the reciever? That would give you some options.

I have been thinking about the same thing actually.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:05 am

Honestly, a bead sight works just fine for HD. With proper practice and consistent technique, a bead can be quite accurate. It's also very fast to acquire a target, whereas rifle or ghost-ring sights have to be lined up.

If you're really set on having ghost-rings, you may have to shell out for it. I'm sure there are some accessories out there that let you do it cheaply, but you'll probably sacrifice durability and/or quality.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 pm

For HD the bead sight should work. A ghost ring sight must be lined up. A shot gun benefits from fast sighting. If you put rifle sights on a shotgun your losing something. If you want an upgrade to the bead sight id recommend XS Big Dot sights. I use it and never looked back. The benefits is youll have something to sight with in low light conditions, its very sturdy its simple. Also its more visible in normal lighting conditions then your bead sight because of the white dot with a black outline.

Heres a video of james showing you how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J45cJp5VHg

tactical870

Post by tactical870 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 am

Trijicon night sights are one of your best alternatives but you will have to take your 870 to a gunsmith to install them.
Practical is Tactical

pesty3782
New Shotgunner

Post by pesty3782 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Bead sights are fast and with practice slugs from 50 yards and further are easily place in a man sized target.

Tony P.