Opinions wanted on 870 Project part list

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Opinions wanted on 870 Project part list

Post by gWebber » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:28 am

PLEASE SHARE OPINIONS , UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS, BRANDS

Ok, so here’s my parts list in the order of importance (based on my opinion & current availability). My 870 Will be used largely for HD and like to keep it simple but updated to be reliable.

Here’s a few details; Gun is 1993 or earlier (still trying to find out exact date) , Barrel is a Hastings 3” Shell Ribbed that was cut down to 20” inch (Prior owner) , have a side saddle but not mounted yet.
Photos of my 870 below.

The List;

1. Wilson Combat Jumbo Safety Button.
2. Elzetta light mount & Streamlight 88850 PolTac light.
3. Follower - not sure which brand/type
4. Flex Tab Conversion Kit (if I can find one in stock)
5. Limb Saver slip on recoil pad (I’m old, I hurt enough)
6. XS Big Dot sight (if I can figure out how to mount)

Maybe List ;
A. Side Saddle , have one, just not sure I want to mount it.
B. Volquarter Extractor
C. New style Action Bar
D. 18.5 Barrel

Please remember I’m not going “all out” and I’m on a budget.
Attachments
889DED64-130C-4779-9144-3CF55C9EC2E8.jpeg
While kinda long, I like the wood stock
889DED64-130C-4779-9144-3CF55C9EC2E8.jpeg (945.73 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
AA5B4058-BE66-4EBF-8792-F5F52107DC7C.jpeg
Wood stocks are great clubs
AA5B4058-BE66-4EBF-8792-F5F52107DC7C.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 6353 times

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Opinions wanted on 870 Project part list

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Thoughts and opinions? That Wingmaster is too purty to be a HD shotgun. Find a basic Express Synthetic as a start, or a surplus police model. But its your shotgun, so....

(a) are you sure you don't have the flex tab system already?
(b) 18" barrel would be higher on my priorities, to make it easier to swing in close quarters now, instead of later.
(c) Rifle sights or ghost ring?
(d) I'd skip the Limbsaver, and get a slip-on recoil pad. Why? In truth, in actual use you'll never feel the recoil until 2 days later when the adrenaline has stopped. Practice with the slip-on the save your shoulder, but keep it ready without. Saves a bit of length, and fitting. Consider it the same as a mega-magnum hunting rifle. Sighting in a scope on a 338 WinMag is punishing at the bench. But you never feel the shot out in the field lined up on game.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:32 am

Scorpion8 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:47 pm
Thoughts and opinions? That Wingmaster is too purty to be a HD shotgun. Find a basic Express Synthetic as a start, or a surplus police model. But its your shotgun, so....

(a) are you sure you don't have the flex tab system already?
(b) 18" barrel would be higher on my priorities, to make it easier to swing in close quarters now, instead of later.
(c) Rifle sights or ghost ring?
(d) I'd skip the Limbsaver, and get a slip-on recoil pad. Why? In truth, in actual use you'll never feel the recoil until 2 days later when the adrenaline has stopped. Practice with the slip-on the save your shoulder, but keep it ready without. Saves a bit of length, and fitting. Consider it the same as a mega-magnum hunting rifle. Sighting in a scope on a 338 WinMag is punishing at the bench. But you never feel the shot out in the field lined up on game.
It took months in my area to find this 870, nobody has any in stock new or used. At the moment I can’t afford a second 870, other wise an older Police would be great.

A. The shell lifter doesn’t have the slotted tab and I don’t see the other machined areas the newer assemblies have.

B. I’d like to do the barrel , but having trouble finding one in stock. I agree it’s better in close quarters.

C. I think the large Dot (glow) is plenty, but may look at others.

D. I was unclear, I meant a “slip on” Limb Saver, not a screw on one.

Yes, the WingMaster is nice and that’s why I’m not doing big mods to it. If I get a second 870, I can HD it from the listed parts and return the Wing Master to stock .. though the 20” barrel isn’t original.

One other thing, barrel is for 3” shells, but I don’t know if the receiver is magnum or not, I under that there’s some parts difference?

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Just an update on Project.
Got word back from Remington on the Receiver Serial number And they say it’s 1975. Seems like it should be a good year, but will need mechanical upgrades.

They also told me that all Wingmasters are Magnum even if it’s not marked on the receiver

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:02 am

gWebber wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm
They also told me that all Wingmasters are Magnum even if it’s not marked on the receiver
I'd measure your ejection port, and compare it to another or ask a forum member with a non-magnum receiver. My non-magnum 870 slug gun is exactly 3" on the ejection port length.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:24 am

Scorpion8 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:02 am
gWebber wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm
I'd measure your ejection port, and compare it to another or ask a forum member with a non-magnum receiver. My non-magnum 870 slug gun is exactly 3" on the ejection port length.

I’ll do that when it comes home from the Gun Smith.
Thanks

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:41 pm

All Wingmasters are not magnums. I have two that are 2-3/4 receivers only. Magnum and non magnum ejection ports are the same length, the only difference is the ejector and the chamber in the barrel
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

devrep
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by devrep » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:52 pm

1975 is good. built better than new ones. also explains why you don't have the flex tab.

devrep
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by devrep » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:53 pm

20" barrel is great for HD. most of the newer HD shotguns are 20" you'll never notice the difference.

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am

Banshee wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:41 pm
All Wingmasters are not magnums. I have two that are 2-3/4 receivers only. Magnum and non magnum ejection ports are the same length, the only difference is the ejector and the chamber in the barrel
Well someone put a Hastings barrel on it that’s chambered for 2 3/4 & 3”. So I guess I need to check the port to be sure if it’s size and check the Ejector if I can find what the difference is.