Upgrades for 870 Police

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Upgrades for 870 Police

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Romulus wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:08 am
... but is the Remington OEM part somehow functionally inferior?
The Remington extractor is a MIM (metal injection molded) part. Basically "cast" so the metal lattice isn't as strong as the Volquartsen which is machined from a forged blank of steel.

http://www.rem870.com/2012/10/16/reming ... extractor/
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:03 am

The 870 police already has a machined steel extractor
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

BKinzey
Senior Shotgunner

Post by BKinzey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Banshee wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:03 am
The 870 police already has a machined steel extractor
That's what I keep reading. Don't know the year they started using MIM. Does the Wingmaster also use a MIM extractor?

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:21 pm

I would assume the mim started with the express model. My wingmasters are all older models and have machined extractors in them. I haven’t looked at any of the new wingmasters to know.i have seen very few mim extractors broken, but if you are worried about it, buy one and replace it, they easy to replace and are not really expensive. I honestly think if you stay away from brass plated steel case heads you will not have any problems. If you are going to feed it a steady diet of Winchester value packs you more than likely will have trouble no matter with type it has. Mortaring a stuck action is hard on everything.If it is a bird gun or a range toy i wouldn’t worry till i broke one. My TAC-14 still has the extractor it came with and so far it has performed perfectly, if and when it breaks i will replace it with a steel unit.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.