Don’t understand “when built” code.....

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Danijoh69

Don’t understand “when built” code.....

Post by Danijoh69 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Folks, I’m trying to determine when my Remington 870 was built. I know there is a code on the barrel, but evidently I’m not reading it correctly. I have a “B” and an “X” stamped on barrel, then what appears to be “17”. Can someone help me make sense of this? Thanks in advance!

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Don’t understand “when built” code.....

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Here is the best synopsis. Remington's use of alphabetic date codes means they repeat every 26 years. So..... http://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.htm

"BX" appears to be January 1973, but that code only represents the barrel, not the "shotgun". Call or e-mail Remington tech support with your serial number from the receive and they can tell you the manufacture date of that receiver.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

devrep
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by devrep » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm

the only thing you can tell from the gun is the year the barrel was made unless you call Remington and have them run the serial number. It is super easy and they are happy to give the info. the guy I spoke to a couple of days ago about mine was really nice and it took him all of 15 seconds to look it up and give me the info. he said my 870 police was built in 1989. I asked him why the barrel had a 1985 code and he said either it was changed or that they used a new old stock barrel when the gun was assembled. he said that was not unusual esp for police guns as they pick thru parts to find what they think are the best ones for cops and military. he also told me the gun was built with an 18" cyl bore barrel which is what is on it so I think its original. lots of good info.

devrep
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by devrep » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:33 pm

oops, Scorpion beat me to it. :D

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:45 pm

devrep wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:33 pm
oops, Scorpion beat me to it. :D
Yes, it's so exciting and we all tingle with anticipation to be the first respondent.... :lol:
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!