Gravy

Talk about everything not related to Remington 870
Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Gravy

Post by Romulus » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:13 pm

How do you guys make your gravy? Do you use natural drippings? Do you deglaze with wine? What thickener do you use, starch or flour? Thanks in advance
Rom

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Gravy

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Depends on the use. Sausage gravy? Flour thickener and deglaze with milk. Beef gravy? Natural drippings, some cornstarch or flour to thicken and deglaze with beef stock.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Ever try a turkey pan gravy deglazed with Madeira wine? Especially delicious if the bird been loaded with garlic mince under the skin.
Rom

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Romulus wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:41 pm
Ever try a turkey pan gravy deglazed with Madeira wine? Especially delicious if the bird been loaded with garlic mince under the skin.
Rom
No, but that sounds great. Doesn't that give the gravy an odd color though? I can imagine in cases it not being very appealing just due to visuals.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:17 am

It makes it a little bit more amber which is beautiful.
Now Port wine as substitute is a different story: I used it once in lieu of Madeira and the gravy came out with a purple-pinkish tinge, but not artificial dye color looking. Yeah it might put some ppl off, here is where in retrospect I'd go with cornstarch to add more gloss. Best,
Rom

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks, this is great info. Something I may have to give a try to.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Chef Duane
Shotgunner

Post by Chef Duane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Typically wine to deglaze unless you are doing sausage gravy (above). Some cream sauces also started with a wine deglaze and then finished with milk or cream. Corn starch or flour depending upon the type of finish you want. Corn starch will make a glossy finish to the sauce and flour will make a matte finish. Both will thicken at the same rate but both also need to be cooked a bit to get out the corn/flour flavor. Also, ALWAYS create a slurry with your thickener before adding it to the pan lest you get lumps in the sauce. And do it in stages.... add a bit and check for desired consistency. You can always add more but if you've over thickened then you have to thin with water or chix stock and you'll screw up your flavors and/or consistency. You can also simply reduce the sauce after a deglaze to thicken it but it will really concentrate the flavors so use caution. Salt is you enemy in reducing. If you have salted the sauce to your desired level THEN reduce it, you'll also be enhancing the saltiness. Test for saltiness and the end of the recipe and always salt in stages. You can always add more but you can't take it out.

..... and we'll be right back after this commercial time out.
There is no greater defense against evil on the rampage that a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Romulus
Valued Shotgunner

Post by Romulus » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Well Chef thank you for those pointers. I deglaze everything with wine to add some acidity to balance out the umami and add an extra layer but can't quite describe it. The Madeira I've tried recently and the extra smoky sweet along with the acid gives even more layered or "complex" flavor. Thanks again!
Rom

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:48 pm

So we need a complete recipe here, or else.....never happened! :)
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life