Magazine extensions

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Jhays1306

Magazine extensions

Post by Jhays1306 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Can anyone tell me how drilling out the dimples on my magazine tube effects the gun after removing the magazine extension?

Jhays1306

Re: Magazine extensions

Post by Jhays1306 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:14 pm

I guess my question is how does the factory parts function after the dimples are removed say after the snow goose conservation order?

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Post by John A. » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm

On all of the guns that I have ever added an extension to, I have only had to drill dimples out of one.

And it doesn't affect anything if/when you put the factory guts back in it, however everything is held in place by the endcap rather than any grooves or dimples, and taking everything apart later will often result in them being launched across the room if you're not careful.

But you can put the parts back in place.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm

I drilled them out and I am very glad I did. It was quick and easy with no scary moments and it cost me exactly zero. I used a 13/64 drill bit which was the smallest bit that would remove enough material and polished the holes in the tube with a dremel to smooth everything out and re-blued the area to protect the metal.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:19 am

Done properly, it really shouldn't affect the gun's function at all. The one thing that'll change is that you can no longer use the internal-ratchet plastic spring retainer, since the dimples that it locks into aren't there any more. But if you still want to have a spring retainer when you're not using a mag extension, you can simply use one of the press-in-style retainers that 870s without dimples use (or, my recommendation, use the improved Benelli version of that part instead). If you're using a barrel that doesn't have a detent in the guide ring for external-ratchet cap retention, a $3 wave washer will help keep the cap in place.

See this video for details on going from an extended magazine configuration, back to a 4+1 capacity with a mag cap.

Greg2sdad1

Post by Greg2sdad1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:35 pm

I would not drill dimples out of mag tube! Dirt and crap will get inside possibly and i wouldnt want dirt in my mag tube, Brownells has a tool for removing the dimples, i was very careful and used a deep socket and finished with light sanding inside tube with my dremel, cleaned it out with barrel swab, little wd-40 and walaa, i installed a new aluminum follower spring and mag extension and i love my 870 as a home protection device thingy majigger!

Greg2sdad1

Post by Greg2sdad1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:36 pm

I would not drill dimples out of mag tube! Dirt and crap will get inside possibly and i wouldnt want dirt in my mag tube, Brownells has a tool for removing the dimples, i was very careful and used a deep socket and finished with light sanding inside tube with my dremel, cleaned it out with barrel swab, little wd-40 and walaa, i installed a new aluminum follower spring and mag extension and i love my 870 as a home protection device thingy majigger!

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:34 pm

Two things: You do realize the Brownells tool is absolutely the WORST possible way to get the dimples out. The magazine tube is brazed in from the factory and hitting it with a tool and/or socket is straight out of the trailer.
#2- all early 870’s from the factory were, you guessed it.........DRILLED FROM THE FACTORY!
Attachments
1E8870E3-BF8C-42D3-931F-8F755D0A85F3.jpeg
1E8870E3-BF8C-42D3-931F-8F755D0A85F3.jpeg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4680 times

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Germansheperd wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:34 pm
Two things: You do realize the Brownells tool is absolutely the WORST possible way to get the dimples out. The magazine tube is brazed in from the factory and hitting it with a tool and/or socket is straight out of the trailer.
#2- all early 870’s from the factory were, you guessed it.........DRILLED FROM THE FACTORY!

You don't have beat the crap out of it. You don’t need to clamp the gun in a vise,Just hold the tube In your hand and lightly tap the swage in With a soft face hammer. No load is placed the solder joint.
Last edited by Banshee on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Lol no way. I’ll just do what Remington says and did in the past for years.