Action not working when nut is tighten

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
bwarren

Action not working when nut is tighten

Post by bwarren » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:13 am

Im at my wits end. When I put the barrel back in the receiver and tighten the nut down the action just slides back and forth and the action release
will not depress. Now if I back the nut off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn everything works as it should. Also I have noticed that when the nut is tighten as it should be it seems as if the fore end/bolt isn't going forward enough for it to lock in place but again if I loosen the nut and let the barrel slide up a sixteenth to a eighth of a inch it works like it should be I know that not right. The gun worked flawlessly for two years then I had a jam to where I barely got the action back but worked fine after I got it unjammed then about 2 boxes of shells later it jammed again and now I have this issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Action not working when nut is tighten

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:15 am

Pull the barrel off and examine inside the receiver. Make sure both side rails are still in place and riveted to where they are supposed to be, or haven't slid backwards. Then carefully re-install the barrel making sure the action cut-outs align perfectly with the ejector rail slot. Tighten the barrel/magazine cap nut back down and give us a report. Any pictures of anything odd you discover would help too.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

bwarren

Post by bwarren » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks Ill give it a look. I did notice last night when I was looking at it that when I tighten the cap I could tell something was moving back into
the slide lock lever causing it to become stuck.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:26 pm

bwarren wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 am
Thanks Ill give it a look.
Any update?
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!