newb from the philly burbs.

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

newb from the philly burbs.

Post by jakebrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:50 pm

hey all, new to forum, not to firearms.

just bought first Remington shotgun. used 870 tactical...appears to be from august 2013. used mossbergs forever. (still do), just figured an 870 would be a welcome addition. will probably lurk like a fiend for a bit.

like all gun folks, gotta customize it.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: newb from the philly burbs.

Post by Scorpion8 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:05 pm

An 870 is always a welcome addition. Howdy from South East Alaska. Where about's in Philly? My family was from Upper Darby and Connell Park and we lived in Newtown Square for awhile.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jakebrake » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:57 pm

newtown square and upper darby...both of which are about 40 minutes away. I am in ever scenic Bucks county. Warminster...right on the bucks Montgomery border ( a town made famous by the poisoned water)

connell park....as in Scranton?

as far as Alaska, Much better half and I dream of moving there, and, never setting foot on the mainland again. (Palmer, Eagle river, Wasilla area)

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:34 pm

jakebrake wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:57 pm
connell park....as in Scranton?

as far as Alaska, Much better half and I dream of moving there, and, never setting foot on the mainland again. (Palmer, Eagle river, Wasilla area)
Connell Park as in over by 64th & Elmwood Ave. Old Polish neighborhoods back in my day. Near Bartram High School.

There are a few "different" Alaskas. The North Slope, the Interior, South Central, and South East. Down in SE we're road-locked, only way in or out is by airline or marine ferry. Keeps the riff-raff out, for the most part.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jakebrake » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:34 pm
jakebrake wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:57 pm
Connell Park as in over by 64th & Elmwood Ave. Old Polish neighborhoods back in my day. Near Bartram High School.
OOOOOhhhhh…..Elmwood park. not the worst section of town. Bartram High school, however....ummm….Yeah.

ok...we're going to see how long You've been gone.

if the phrases "Mount Moriah Cemetery", or "George Pepper Middle School" make Your skin crawl, You're a recent transplant.

If not, I'd say, about mid 80's?

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:14 pm

jakebrake wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 pm
If not, I'd say, about mid 80's?
Yup. Family left that area around then, and at the end of the 80's I was stationed on the last ship departing Philly Naval Station. The whole place has changed somewhat, although Pat's King of Steaks & Geno's on E. Passyunk was still there last I looked.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by jakebrake » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:19 pm

both are still there, although Joey Vento (Geno's) passed in 2012...he had become rather famous for his political views. Pepper closed on 13...is now a dumping ground for tires, and, graffiti canvas. Mt. Moriah....abandoned around 97 or 98. as the board of directors died off, never replaced. everyone stopped coming to work. the youtube videos do not do it justice.

since You knew the area... Willow Grove Naval air, and Johnsville naval air stations. I am between the 2 of them (Hence the poisoned water remark), and, both of them are closed.

Kensington got far, far worse. forget all of the documentaries. it is a horror show. (for those who didn't know the history, Kensington was THE spot, way back when. streets lined with shops, that were all crammed with people.

then, crack happened...started to get ugly in a hurry. prostitution became a real problem.

Heroin made that look good. Literal Zombies shuffle down the street looking for their next high. they did an "intervention" season on it on a&e. they sugar coated it....big time.

be glad You got out.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:29 pm

jakebrake wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:19 pm
be glad You got out.
It's a shame. I recall the ethnic neighborhoods, full of corner deli's, shops, bakeries in the row houses. Last time I went back it looked like an inner city slum. All the European ethnic groups (the Irish, Poles, Slavs that emigrated via Ellis Island in the early 1900's) moved UP in society which enabled them to move OUT. I guess my family was one of them.

Sad, I got my Navy induction physical at NAS Willow Grove during NROTC.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life