Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Pictures of your Remington 870 Shotgun

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Now THAT is one purty 870!!!
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

BarryB
New Shotgunner

Post by BarryB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 pm

New guy. Just purchased a used 870 Magnum Express. Came from a gentleman’s collection. Follower does not appear to be stock. Fiber optic front sight, extended mag tube, magpul stock and foregrip. I confirmed the ejector is stock.

My plan currently (have not fired it) is to install a non-MIM ejector, aftermarket Carrier Dog spring, and cerakote the gun.
E8FC3A71-4A8C-45C5-B703-2E0768E301DD.jpeg
E8FC3A71-4A8C-45C5-B703-2E0768E301DD.jpeg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 110595 times

XTrooper
New Shotgunner

Post by XTrooper » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 pm

BarryB wrote:New guy. Just purchased a used 870 Magnum Express. Came from a gentleman’s collection. Follower does not appear to be stock. Fiber optic front sight, extended mag tube, magpul stock and foregrip. I confirmed the ejector is stock.

My plan currently (have not fired it) is to install a non-MIM ejector, aftermarket Carrier Dog spring, and cerakote the gun.
Looks great! Best of luck with it!
What color are you going to Ceracote it with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Steve
Retired NJ State Trooper (retired 4/1/1991)
NRA Police Firearms Instructor
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA Benefactor

BarryB
New Shotgunner

Post by BarryB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

XTrooper wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 pm
BarryB wrote:New guy. Just purchased a used 870 Magnum Express. Came from a gentleman’s collection. Follower does not appear to be stock. Fiber optic front sight, extended mag tube, magpul stock and foregrip. I confirmed the ejector is stock.

Also ordered a mag tube barrel clamp. Noted that one is not present.

Regarding color, I may just go with a nice deep basic black. Not sure yet.

Thank you,
Barry

XTrooper
New Shotgunner

Post by XTrooper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm

BarryB wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm
XTrooper wrote:

Thank you,
Barry
Sounds like a plan!
I agree. I think I'd stick with black, also. I recently bought an 870 Police Magnum (# 82760). The only things I changed out were the stock safety for a Vang Comp Dome Head safety and the stock magazine follower for an S&J Hardware Type 2 follower.
Steve
Retired NJ State Trooper (retired 4/1/1991)
NRA Police Firearms Instructor
Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA Benefactor

BarryB
New Shotgunner

Post by BarryB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:15 pm

XTrooper wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm
BarryB wrote:
XTrooper wrote:

Thank you,
Barry
Sounds like a plan!
I agree. I think I'd stick with black, also. I recently bought an 870 Police Magnum (# 82760). The only things I changed out were the stock safety for a Vang Comp Dome Head safety and the stock magazine follower for an S&J Hardware Type 2 follower.
Oh, and apparently it has NOT desired Remington J Safety, that requires a key? I read up on them and it seems they are an issue with reliability, at least perceived to be. Sooooo... the FNG question for you guys is what p/n do I want to put in there to replace the safety, the firing pin, and the firing pin spring?

If I am reading correctly, the heaving firing pin spring reduces the chance of bump firing - that said, my gun will never be stored with one in the chamber.

If you guys can recommend a safety, firing ping, and spring, those are all things I wanna' swap out, even though this gun appears not to have a lot of use on it.

Thanks,
Barry

camodude
New Shotgunner

Post by camodude » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:29 pm

BarryB wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:15 pm
XTrooper wrote:
BarryB wrote:

Thank you,
Barry
Sounds like a plan!
Oh, and apparently it has NOT desired Remington J Safety, that requires a key? I read up on them and it seems they are an issue with reliability, at least perceived to be. Sooooo... the FNG question for you guys is what p/n do I want to put in there to replace the safety, the firing pin, and the firing pin spring?

If I am reading correctly, the heaving firing pin spring reduces the chance of bump firing - that said, my gun will never be stored with one in the chamber.

If you guys can recommend a safety, firing ping, and spring, those are all things I wanna' swap out, even though this gun appears not to have a lot of use on it.

Thanks,
Barry
You want the ‘heavy’ 7-8lb orange sear spring. As posted above the Vang Comp ‘big head dome safety’, and the Remington 1100 carrier spring. That should make it a fine fighting shotgun.

BarryB
New Shotgunner

Post by BarryB » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Germansheperd wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:29 pm
BarryB wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:15 pm
XTrooper wrote:

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks,
Barry
You want the ‘heavy’ 7-8lb orange sear spring. As posted above the Vang Comp ‘big head dome safety’, and the Remington 1100 carrier spring. That should make it a fine fighting shotgun.
Thanks, I was cherry picking what parts to replace, realized they are all dirt cheap, and I'm just baselining the gun. All springs are being replaced with heavier ones where appropriate, along with the firing pin and ejector. I confirmed the follower and spring have already been upgraded as the mag tube is extended. Even if some of the springs are aftermarket, I don't know the use history, and the parts are cheap, and this is a defensive weapon. So, new everything.

I appreciate everyone's input, I'm definitely not a shotgun guy, but I wanna' be. So I'm getting there. This 870 pairs nicely with my fully pimped out Beretta 1301 tactical.

Barry

mikelee8815
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by mikelee8815 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:26 pm

1968 Wingmaster
Speed feed stock
3 inch ejector spring
S&J jumbo safety and follower
Police carrier latch spring
Cantilever rifled barrel
Nikon Prostaff p3 shotgun 3x9